need advice: how to remove broken bolt inside brass valve

2,403 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bam02
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whats the best way to remove a broken bolt inside of another metal object, mine is a brass valve. There are 3 valves in this box separated by a couple inches each and I would prefer to not have to cut it out. I bought a extractor set from Lowes and my foreman used the drill bit to drill out a small hole in the bolt but it didn't do anything. I've seen online to use some db blaster and let it sit and then try the extractor set. I've also seen to use a torch on it and once it cools it should come out. Thanks & Gig'em!
Whoop Delecto
AG
ftworthag02
AG
ok thank you! I hope it works.
dtkprowler
AG
Once broke a bolt off in the block of my Bronco replacing the water pump. Had to cut the timing chain cover off to get the bolt out of the block. Completely useless for you, but I look back on that with fond memories.
ftworthag02
AG
I called Fort Worth Bolt & Tool and told them my situation and they said they have steel drill bits. Champion brute platinum drill bits. Drilled right through bolt with not problem. The cutting wax costs more than the bits.
03_Aggie
Not sure what you spent but I have found these to be pretty good for drilling out bolts. I had one that these were the only bit that would eat into it. Everything else made a shiny spot and that was about it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Carbide-Tipped-Drill-Bit-Set-for-Drilling-Natural-Stone-Granite-Slate-Ceramic-and-Glass-Tiles-NS2000/301427910
rancher1953
Having broken my share of bolts on my vehicles and around the home, the best way to remove them is with a left handed drill bit. Make sure you are in the center,, then drill as you drill with the left handed bi. The bolt will back out. I use koil as my choice on the bolt prior to drilling. Hope this helps.
Aggie1
AG
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2923160/16

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/998056520309850112/photo/1

rancher1953
This will solve your problem.
1"x36" iron pipe, and new lug nut.
  • " drive breaker bar $15-20
  • 1" diameter iron pipe, 36" length $10-15
  • Nut/bolt extractor twist socket set $20-100
  • 3 lb. hammer $5-10
  • WD-40 or alternative penetrating oil $5
  • Replacement lug nut $3
  • Total cost: $58-153

Put correct size bolt/nut extractor on nut. The fit must be so tight that you will have to hammer it on with 3 lbs hammer. These specialty twist sockets are really great; once seated properly, you can turn the socket and it will grip the nut tighter. Attach the " drive breaker bar to the nut extractor socket. If you need to, slide the 36" iron pipe over the breaker bar handle to gain an additional mechanical advantage. If the correct extractor socket was used (no slippage), then this force will free the lug nut. Note spray nut first with good penetrating oil.

bam02
AG
dtkprowler said:

Once broke a bolt off in the block of my Bronco replacing the water pump. Had to cut the timing chain cover off to get the bolt out of the block. Completely useless for you, but I look back on that with fond memories.

Ha! Did the same thing on my '89 Bronco changing the thermostat. That was an oh crap moment!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.