Retaining wall questions

1,785 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by zaab
Ed Carter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys, we are looking at a lot in a new development that backs up to a hill. The developer has already put in a retaining wall at the back of the property, which aesthetically looks nice and is about 6 feet tall. I've never had a retaining wall, let alone one this tall with a significant hill right behind me, is there anything to be aware of or concerned about with this type of set up? If any maintenance ever has to be done on the wall is that on the homeowner or the HOA/developer? There is a jogging trail which goes around the entire neighborhood which is about 20 feet up on the hill behind the wall so technically that wall is with in the neighborhood boundaries. Just looking for general feedback for things to be aware of with this type of property that has a retaining wall of this size Thanks in advance !
Gary79Ag
AG
Might want to post a pic if possible to get a better understanding of the situation...
Kenneth_2003
AG
Quote:

If any maintenance ever has to be done on the wall is that on the homeowner or the HOA/developer?
Ask the developer... AND read the documents for the HOA and deed restrictions!!! I'd also want to review the plans that were used for the wall. Make sure it was designed by a Professional Engineer and then do what you can to verify it was built in accordance with those plans!
Ornlu
AG
Check your survey. If you don't have a survey, GET ONE. Whether that wall is 2" outside your property or 2" inside dictates who pays for it. If it's on HOA property, talk to their developer. If it's on YOUR side, then it needs to be covered under your home owners insurance.

Going rate for retaining walls (new construction, approx. 4'-8' tall) is in the neighborhood of $50 - $80 per square foot of exposed wall face. For a wall that is 6' tall by 100' long, that'd be approx. $40,000. That's brand new - it's even more expensive for replacements. During the life of the house, it's likely that the wall will fail, so either the cost should be covered by the HOA, or your insurance.

What year was it constructed? Retaining wall technology has gotten significantly better in the last 10 years.
Ed Carter
AG
Thanks for the responses...it's a brand new development so the wall is brand new
jamesf
AG
When retaining walls go wrong....

https://m.mysanantonio.com/business/article/Collapsed-retaining-wall-prompts-suit-1046799.php
Ornlu
AG
WOW, those pics are awesome.

When retaining walls go wrong:

aduey06
Assuming it is built right and you sort out ownership, i would be worried about drainage coming from the higher ground and making sure water is not just sitting at the base of the wall.
zaab
AG
There are several setups like these in my neighborhood and all of them ended up having to put french drains that lead out to the street. (they cut out a hole in the curb) I'm always amazed when I see the amount of water coming from these even during the summer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.