Garage refrigerators/freezers

6,547 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie1
dgb99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just did a major kitchen remodel which included going from pretty much the largest refrigerator that could fit in a 'normal' fridge space (33 cu. ft.) to a counter depth fridge (20 cu. ft.). The remodel is awesome...but the reduction in fridge space is one of very few negatives...

We had planned to move the giant LG frig to the garage and get rid of our existing >10 year old Kenmore garage refrigerator. That is, until we found out the uber-fancy LG frig simply couldn't keep up with the temperatures in the garage. And, a month later, now the Kenmore appears to be dying too (after having spent the last 5 years in the garage).

The idea of buying a 'new' fridge and putting it in the garage seems crazy but I'm trying to decide if getting a standalone chest freezer and a smaller refrigerator makes sense vs. a traditional single unit with both frig/freezer. Our main usage is to freeze leftovers for meals later in the week (meat sauce/chili/gumbo) and to freeze bulk packs of protein (Costco specials and the 30 pounds of shrimp we bring back from Louisiana on occasion). Fridge usage is mainly just beer/drinks but likely will have some overflow of actual food due to the small size of the inside fridge.

Does anyone make anything that is actually warrantied or intended to operate in a garage? Recommendations?

Picard
AG
Craigslist

Gary79Ag
AG
Quote:

The idea of buying a 'new' fridge and putting it in the garage seems crazy but I'm trying to decide if getting a standalone chest freezer and a smaller refrigerator makes sense vs. a traditional single unit with both frig/freezer.
Might want to really think about a standalone chest freezer if you've never had one before as it's a pain in the arse having to dig through the stuff in there to find what you need when you need it...you can ask my BIL as he *****ed about this with his this weekend!

My parents used to have a huge one when we were kids and I too recall the hazzle...
62strat
AG
I got a free fridge from my aunt/uncle for our garage, and I put my old garage fridge (a 3/4 size, it's like 5' tall, 15cuft) down in the basement.

I wouldn't spend too much on one if it's just for left over meals and drinks (which is exactly what ours is for).
But if you're putting a considerable amount of meat in it, you'll have to take the risk factor of a CL special. As said above, craigslist. You'll find a top freezer style fridge for under $100. But if you go standalone freezer route, I'd go upright. As mentioned above, it's a pain to dig through a chest style if it's full.

A new one would give you peace of mind if you had several hundred dollars worth of meat in there.
In ours, at most we have a bulk bag of costco chicken and corndogs for the kids.
FincAg
AG
I think it depends on how much you have and how often you are getting in there. Two examples.

1) We have a GE 10.6 cuft chest freezer in our garage we purchased new, will run you 300-400 depending on sales. We have a quarter of a steer, 24 freezer meals (wife is due Monday and we prepped for crock pot cooking), four 10 lb pork butts, three 18 lb briskets, and around 6 lbs of ground sausage. We are filled to the brim. Normally it's only filled about 3/4 the way full and you can easily get to everything. Then we have a Craigslist fridge ($50) that keeps beer cold, and doubles as a place to thaw meat and store items for parties while the top freezer usually has a bag or two of ice in it. Works for us.

2) My mom has a stand up freezer for easy access like pie crusts, flour, frozen lasagna, popsicles for the kids, bacon, sausage, ground meat. It works for her because she does not have to move anything and sees literally everything right in front of her. Then she has an old fridge that doubles as soda and water cooler while the freezer just is a place to store bags of ice.

Two different types for different uses. I like my chest because I have large and sometime nonuniform cuts of meat that I can simply stack. It's not that bad because the freezer really isn't that large. If it was twice the size shuffling everything would be a real pain the in the rear.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-6-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM11PHWW/205443672
Beckdiesel03
AG
We made the mistake of not buying a big enough chest freezer when we got one. It was almost instant regret and this was before we did a lot of hunting AND had kids. We fish and hunt a ton and kids bring another level of needing space for food. Counter depth fridges suck. We have a huge fridge in the kitchen, a chest freezer for all of our game and yet another beer/juice fridge with top freezer that we had to buy when our cheap beer fridge went out. If this is just your first kid-get bigger than you think. We have never once said "damn this is too much fridge and freezer space"
jtp01
AG
Our garage fridge is simply for beer, a second ice maker, leftovers we intend to eat in our he next 48 hours and such. We have a really small freezer in our mud room/laundry room for short term used (the next 2 weeks) and a large upright freezer also in the garage for longer term storage.

We buy bulk protein, break it down to meal sized packaging and them place in the correct freezer. Right now, I have chicken, pork, beef and various frozen veggies in both freezers. I have beer/water in the garage fridge. We make it work, but it takes some discipline. If I go to short term fridge and find no beef, I'll bring 3 packages in, 1 to thaw and 2 for the indoor freezer.
dgb99
AG
Thanks for the feedback. Looking at the manuals for most refrigerators, I was surprised they indicate they will operate up 110F external temperature. I imagine it likely gets hotter than that inside my garage on quite a few days during the summer (Dallas area).

I checked Craigslist and NextDoor over the past week and didn't find many freebies or good deals on clean fridges so we ended up deciding to go with a relatively inexpensive (~$500) top freezer refrigerator that has plenty of good reviews indicating they are being used as a garage fridge. We're gonna go with that for a while and decide later on if we want to add a chest freezer like the one FincAg linked (although maybe smaller since we'll have the freezer in the refrigerator).

DeBoss
AG
Which brand did you go with?
dgb99
AG
It's a Maytag which I seem to recall doesn't have the best track record for longevity (contrary to their ad campaign) but this particular model has been around since at least 2016 and has decent reviews.

Picked it because it has a slightly larger freezer compartment and no icemaker to take up freezer space. Actually found it at a Sears Outlet store as a scratch and dent but then realized the total charge with delivery new was only $12 more.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-30-in-W-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-White-MRT118FFFH/300011269
Whitetail
AG
Picard said:

Craigslist

Better yet...try offerup.
JSKolache
AG
Wait, who remodels a kitchen to have LESS space for a fridge??
dgb99
AG
Fair question...but the tradeoffs made it worth it. We were able to increase the size of the island significantly. The location of the (smaller) frig makes more sense from a food prep standpoint. And it allowed us to still have double ovens which get frequent use in our house.

And, bottom line, if mama ain't happy...
lkx398
AG
On the deep freeze part....
Do you really want to trust a craigslist deep freeze with the stuff that goes inside($$$)? Stuff in a beer fridge can survive getting hot and still be reusable - deep freeze not so much. I'd go new on the deep freeze and save craigslist stuff for the beer (and now caprisun) fridge.
akaggie05
AG
Whatever you do, get your garage fridge/freezer on a non-GFCI circuit. Ask me how I know.
Whitetail
AG
akaggie05 said:

Whatever you do, get your garage fridge/freezer on a non-GFCI circuit. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?
akaggie05
AG
GFCI tripped while away for an extended period, came back to find a fridge full of nasty spoiled stuff.
Aggie1
AG
To follow, having a dedicated circuit for a fridge is required in a kitchen.

It follows that the same should be required for a second/garage machine. But, we typically just plug in to the nearest outlet and assume it will work all of the time - even during storm fluctuations, etc.

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience as above and found out the hard way as well... - we had two large chest freezers - one with a half beef and another with the annual garden "canned"/frozen stuff... and lost both while out of town. Didn't even notice at first until the smell. What a mess!!.

It pays to trace and put any major appliance on another breaker if not already.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.