Is this Post Loadbearing

1,989 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ratfacemcdougal
nhamp07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do I know for sure this post is not load bearing. I would not imagine it was since the bathroom is overall pretty small. The built this wall and didnt go to the ceiling probably for ventilation. Both sides plumbing is in this wall.

What I want to do is when we redo this shower, since the walls will be gutted, move the piping for the shower to the other side and cut down this post and top the wall above the bath faucet as shown by the line. This picture below is what I want it to look like, but obviously it all depends on if this post is load bearing.

YellAg2004
AG
Can you get to the attic above that location?
nhamp07
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Can you get to the attic above that location?
It's the second story above it.
YellAg2004
AG
Then no one will truly be able to tell you one way or the other without removing some sheetrock to see what is running overhead (unless you have framing plans from the construction). And it may not even be for the second floor, but may continue up to support the roof.

My initial thought would be that it must be load bearing because otherwise it just doesn't make sense to have it there. It's not exactly an architectural feature/detail.
nhamp07
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Then no one will truly be able to tell you one way or the other without removing some sheetrock to see what is running overhead (unless you have framing plans from the construction). And it may not even be for the second floor, but may continue up to support the roof.

My initial thought would be that it must be load bearing because otherwise it just doesn't make sense to have it there. It's not exactly an architectural feature/detail.
I get that. It's an eye sore, so why have it?
JP76
If it's load bearing there should be a beam sitting on top of it which could be found using a stud finder or small nails for probing through the ceiling drywall. If that is a fiberglass shower stall they may be using it to stabilize that wing wall so the enclosure does not flex. It also could be hiding a plumbing vent or water lines inside of the the column. Maybe it's just the picture but there looks like some visible seams/stress areas around the column which hints at there being a load coming off of it. Hard to say without cutting an access hole to inspect.
TexAg2001
AG
If not load bearing, it could be there to resist lateral movement of the wing wall. Without a stud going up to the ceiling, or a steel post bolted to the foundation hidden in the wall, the end of the wing wall could shift laterally when someone or something pushes against it.
jt2hunt
AG
May be for a vent pipe?
The Collective
AG
jt2hunt said:

May be for a vent pipe?

This was my thought.
nhamp07
AG
Vent pipe originating from where?
sts7049
AG
the sink?
toolshed
AG
sts7049 said:

the sink?
The tub and shower drain. I don't see a sink.

I'd concur, you aren't going to know until you remove some sheetrock, whether it's supporting a load above, or if they ran the vent there, vs the outside wall.

As someone else noted, it looks like you have a fiberglass surround and separate pan? If so, I may have framed it the same way, to give the most support to the dividing wall, to minimize any flexing in the wall vs just relying on the drywall and tub and shower to keep the wall from moving.
sts7049
AG
ah yeah, it's a tub. i don't know why i thought it was a sink there
toolshed
AG
sts7049 said:

No judgement here if you like to wash your hands in the tub!!
Gary79Ag
AG
toolshed said:

sts7049 said:

No judgement here if you like to wash your hands in the tub!!
Well, I like the urinals that have a faucet to flush so what's wrong with washing your hands in a tub?
ratfacemcdougal
TexAg2001 said:

If not load bearing, it could be there to resist lateral movement of the wing wall. Without a stud going up to the ceiling, or a steel post bolted to the foundation hidden in the wall, the end of the wing wall could shift laterally when someone or something pushes against it.
Agree with this....That wall has plumbing on both sides, tub valve and shower valve and most likely a vent pipe that all go to the side wall. That post is there, IMO, just to support the wing wall. Stranger things have happened, but to put a load bearing column when you have two other walls within feet would be strange. IF IT IS NOT load bearing you are going to take it out and have sheet rock repair anyhow....just cut out some more sheet rock and investigate from below.
nhamp07
AG
And if I cut that wall down and put a frameless glass, i wont need a support for that? Like the 2nd picture.
ratfacemcdougal
The short wall structure will have much less movement, plus the short wall benenfits from the tub as a support. You already had that support, just not for the extended wall above. Since you will be opening the wall, you may see if you can put an anchor or two into the slab
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.