Sprinklers won't turn on, even manually

14,821 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by craig09
sornman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently started having issues with one of my zones, where the sprinklers won't come on. Event turning the solenoid to manually open the valve didn't work. Water is getting to the value fine.

As the valve was older and replacement parts weren't easily available, I decided to swap it out for a new valve. However, same issue with the new valve. I thought maybe a bad part on the new valve as well, so swapped out the diaphram, spring, and solenoid, still no luck.

So now I am stuck, not sure what to try next. The sprinkler shut off is less than 1 foot away from the valve in question, and it is putting out plenty of water.

The older valve was a Toro, and was replaced by an Orbit.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-1-in-Plastic-Electric-Inline-Irrigation-Valve/1000152387

I can sometimes get the zone to run if I turn the water off, manually open the sprinkler valve, then turn on the water.
ftworthag02
AG
So I'm assuming you don't have a master valve? Secondly, orbit products suck
Third, are you sure you installed the valve the right way w/ the flow arrow pointing the right way.
Since the new valve is a orbit there's a good chance that you got a bad valve.
sprinklerguy12
AG
Sounds like you are replacing the master valve, and not the valve for the section you are attempting to turn on, assuming installation was correct. Typically master valve is close to shutoff valve, as you stated.
mAgnoliAg
AG
sprinklerguy12 said:

Sounds like you are replacing the master valve, and not the valve for the section you are attempting to turn on, assuming installation was correct. Typically master valve is close to shutoff valve, as you stated.

This, but also you could have replaced it backwards if it was the correct valve.
craig09
AG
Could've just been a bad solenoid on the master valve. Typically the first solenoid to go bad in a system. Also, Orbit sucks.
cevans_40
AG
Could be a leak that won't let you build pressure
sornman
Thanks for the replies so far. The new valve in installed correctly, with water flow going in the proper direction.

With your posts, I have a few new things to try to check. It is possible it may be the master valve that I replaced, not the valve for zone 1, so I will have to try to find where my zone 1 valve is. Also, It could be a pressure/leak issue.

Sorry, I am not an expert at irrigation, but thanks for the replies and other ideas to check.
parD
Any luck sornman?
sornman
Sorry for not updating.

Y'all were correct that the valve I changed out was the master valve. I got lucky and was able to find the correct valve for that zone after some searching. Upon inspection, it was leaking. I traded out the parts with the ones from the valve I had replaced with no luck. I ended up replacing the valve and everything is working.

Build It
AG
Not all Orbit products suck. I installed their WiFi b-Hyve controlller and it is awesome and inexpensive.
ftworthag02
AG
I hope your controller last for many years and is trouble free.
As a licensed commercial & residential irrigator for the past 14yrs and have worked on every product whether it's Hunter, rainbird, weathermatic, irritrol, toro and sporadically orbit, orbit is by far the worst irrigation product on the market.
craig09
AG
Agreed. I'm a licensed irrigator as well and I hated the repair calls to trouble shoot Orbit controllers. Now I'm in distribution and I don't have to worry about that. Any product that moves across my counter is Hunter, RainBird, Weathermatic, or Toro.
ftworthag02
AG
Who do you work for?
mAgnoliAg
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Who do you work for?
craig09
AG
SiteOne Landscape Supply. My branch is north Keller but technically a Fort Worth address.
ftworthag02
AG
Do you like your gig? I mean do you like your job?
craig09
AG
Yes, Greggo, I like being chief of police. Haha. But seriously, I do love my gig.
ftworthag02
AG
Craig, can you send me your contact info?

John at fivestarlandscapeco dot com
DallasAg2
AG
What is your favorite controller if it had to be replaced?
ftworthag02
AG
We mainly install hunter pro c or icore and rainbird esp me or esp lx

I know a lot of people on here like racchio but we haven't installed any yet
mAgnoliAg
AG
Hunter Pro-HC is the best followed by Rachio. As far as dumb controllers, rainbird esp-me is the best.
craig09
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Craig, can you send me your contact info?

John at fivestarlandscapeco dot com

John, sorry that I'm just now getting back to this thread. I'll shoot you an email Monday when I'm back at the office. Sorry again for the delay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.