Let's talk insulation/ energy efficiency

3,296 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MrJonMan
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ikanizer said:

I just covered up any roof vents with the radiant barrier material. The air flows in the air gap between the film and the underside of the roof up to the ridge vents. I focused on covering the under side of roof areas that take a direct hit from the sun - east, south and west facing. I have a pretty large area of roof that faces north and I only covered the parts that were easily accessible. LIke I said earlier I put the film on at least 15 years ago with an electric staple gun. I've re-stapled a couple of areas over the years. Definitely got my money back on this project.

Makes sense, thanks.

Thinking I might try it on my garage first. It's detached and unfinished....I would imagine it would help quite a bit
Gary79Ag
AG
MrJonMan said:

Noticed yesterday (never paid attention) my garage has zero venting on the eaves, just about 20ftbof ridge vent across the top. Looked like I'll be changing that.

Also, should I be able to feel the air moving in the attic from the rafter vents?

I ask because when I was running Ethernet for security cameras last year, I felt no air, but when I pulled insulation out from the eave to run the wire, I instantly could feel a difference. Just want to make sure the basics like air flow are covered.
Sounds like you have no baffles to prevent the insulation from sealing off the airflow from the air vents in the soffits to the attic area. When you moved the insulation to install the wiring, you opened up the restricted area to allow airflow.

Rafter Vent Baffle

MrJonMan
AG
Gary79Ag said:

MrJonMan said:

Noticed yesterday (never paid attention) my garage has zero venting on the eaves, just about 20ftbof ridge vent across the top. Looked like I'll be changing that.

Also, should I be able to feel the air moving in the attic from the rafter vents?

I ask because when I was running Ethernet for security cameras last year, I felt no air, but when I pulled insulation out from the eave to run the wire, I instantly could feel a difference. Just want to make sure the basics like air flow are covered.
Sounds like you have no baffles to prevent the insulation from sealing off the airflow from the air vents in the soffits to the attic area. When you moved the insulation to install the wiring, you opened up the restricted area to allow airflow.

Rafter Vent Baffle

We do have the vents, I'm just not sure how well they work or if they're blocked. You don't feel the air move at all that's for sure
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.