Above ground pool put in ground?

3,594 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Complete Idiot
Jbob04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here have any experience or knowledge of doing this? Seems like a good idea but I'm not sure what kind of problems would be associated with it.
sts7049
AG
if you're going through all the trouble to dig a hole why wouldn't you just build a proper below ground pool?
Jbob04
AG
The main reason would be cost, I'm not going to spend 50-60K on a pool.
agnerd
AG
Don't bury an inground pool. It's not made to resist the pressure the soil can exert on the sides when water isn't in it. Could also collapse onto someone even with water in the pool. Not worth the risk. Go with a drop-in fiberglass pool if you want to go cheap. Or just get a big thick piece of plastic and build a pond like you'd see in a pasture.
PFG
AG
Is this a real question? Someone wants to bury an above ground pool?
p_bubel
I see it enough that I'm not surprised by it any longer.

I've seen it work, especially if you don't bury it completely, but I would price out the cheap fiberglass stuff first.
Jbob04
AG
Yes, evidently it's a pretty common thing now. It's new to me as well but after doing a little research on it, it's seems to be a popular installation. Most of them aren't buried completely. Usually leave a foot or two above ground and build a deck around it.
Canyon99
Shouldn't be a problem if it is behind your trailer house. My suggestion; don't do it.
ftworthag02
AG
Not trying to be a ass but I can tell you one thing... if you were selling that house and I came to look at it and saw a buried above ground pool I would immediately turn around and get in my car. Might decrease your property value.
ftworthag02
AG
like this?
http://floridacoastabovegroundpools.com/2017/07/31/can-i-bury-an-above-ground-pool/
Jbob04
AG
ftworthag02 said:

like this?
http://floridacoastabovegroundpools.com/2017/07/31/can-i-bury-an-above-ground-pool/

Yes, that's what I was talking about.
MrJonMan
AG
Surely I'm not the only one that in my head was imagining a plastic liner with pvc support poles type above ground pool, right?
rilloaggie
AG
My old boss did this. He was a classic "redneck engineer". Dug the hole himself with a bobcat, reinforced the sides with some wood, and away he went. Then it rained... Water filled in under and around the pool and screwed it up royally. He drained it, re dug it, and started over. Then it rained again. He repeated the process 3 or 4 times before he finally threw in the towel. Pretty sure he filled the hole with lots of garbage to make up for the dirt he disposed of elsewhere and then covered it all up. Be wary if you ever buy a house in Bryan on Wildflower Ln from an old dude with Elvis looking sideburns FYI!
Long Live Sully
AG
rilloaggie said:

My old boss did this. He was a classic "redneck engineer". Dug the hole himself with a bobcat, reinforced the sides with some wood, and away he went. Then it rained... Water filled in under and around the pool and screwed it up royally. He drained it, re dug it, and started over. Then it rained again. He repeated the process 3 or 4 times before he finally threw in the towel. Pretty sure he filled the hole with lots of garbage to make up for the dirt he disposed of elsewhere and then covered it all up. Be wary if you ever buy a house in Bryan on Wildflower Ln from an old dude with Elvis looking sideburns FYI!
And.... you worked for this high IQ redneck.
Malachi Constant
AG
The commercial for an above ground pool lasts 30 seconds because 30 seconds is the maximum amount of time you can have fun in an above ground pool.

-Mitch Hedberg
rilloaggie
AG
Just long enough to pay TAMU and get on down the road!
Long Live Sully
BigNastyNate
AG
Jbob04 said:

You are correct, it's closer to $100k these days.
Kenneth_2003
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Not trying to be a ass but I can tell you one thing... if you were selling that house and I came to look at it and saw a buried above ground pool I would immediately turn around and get in my car. Might decrease your property value.
Agreed. Not trying to start the pool/no pool debate. But you're certainly decreasing your potential buyers when you add a pool, as for some people it is a deal killer. So when you sell you're looking "pool want" or at least "pool neutral" buyers. A cheap half-done redneck-way job will turn off the pool-neutral. It would also make me wonde where else you cut corners and did something the cheap or easy way.

On-the-other-hand, it's your home and you can't base every decision around "what happens when I sell?" especially if selling isn't on the horizon. Enjoy YOUR home for sure. I don't view a primary home as an investment. You have to live somewhere, and living isn't free.

But, it think it's a monumentally bad idea, primarily because you're trying to shoe-horn a cheap alternative into a role it was never designed to fill.
PlanoAg98
AG
There are some pretty decent looking ones here.

https://www.pinterest.com/agpoolreviews/above-ground-pool-landscaping/
62strat
AG
I've always a pictured just building a deck around it. Maybe bury it a foot or two, with 2-3' exposed.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Screw the haters. This is a fantastic idea. Once you get started we expect lots of pictures of the work and finished product.
Cromagnum
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Screw the haters. This is a fantastic idea. Once you get started we expect lots of pictures of the work and finished product.

Only if it's a weekend job like the bathroom remodel.
BrazosDog02
AG
Oh. Hahaha. I was thinking he wanted to buy one of those academy specials and drop it in the ground. Lol.

He wants an actual real above ground pool that's buries in the ground. I think that's ok and legit.
Ornlu
AG
Water weighs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot. Soil weighs about 110lbs per cubic foot, or more like 135 lbs if it's super saturated. Worst case scenario, the soil's going to push against your walls with around 135 lbs per square foot of wall. Above ground pools (the rigid fiberglass kind) aren't built to resist over-turning moment like that. Instead, they're only built to handle hoop-stress of the water pressure pushing out.

To balance out the soil force against the wall, you need to ensure that the water pressure pushing out is greater than the soil pressure pushing in. Ie: 135/62.4 = ~2.25 feet. You need the constant water level to be about 27" higher than the adjacent ground. And you can NEVER drain it.

That's actually doable. It'd look like this:

BrazosDog02
AG
How much would something like the last picture run? That looks more aesthetically pleasing than an in ground pool to me
sims05
AG
Can't speak to the price of that setup but I had a 12' x 20' above ground pool installed in 2012 for $7500 for material and labor. The pool was a Doughboy and they stated it could be put in ground. It was metal walled so I'm not sure if an in ground installation would need a different material. They also had a liner that would balloon out and allow for one end to be deeper than the other.
Complete Idiot
BigNastyNate said:

Jbob04 said:

You are correct, it's closer to $100k these days.
$100K for a pool? I was getting close to getting quotes for a pool but was hoping for $75K or less (in the Austin area)
BigNastyNate
AG
It depends on how big of a pool, decking, other features like water features, fire, outdoor kitchen/patio, etc...

My pool is 36,000 gallons, which is pretty large.

We had quotes come in from $70k - $90k, again depending on finish out and features...
62strat
AG
BigNastyNate said:

It depends on how big of a pool, decking, other features like water features, fire, outdoor kitchen/patio, etc...

We had quotes come in from $70k - $90k, again depending on finish out and features...
36k gallons?

That's like 700sf @ 7' average depth!
Complete Idiot
BigNastyNate said:

Who did you end up going with? Happy with them?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.