Go with an independent agent - Lierre insurance is an example. They'll pitch your info out to a set of highly regarded companies and tell you the best options each year. Dare I say all insurance companies have a pretty efficient claims process (it's heavily regulated), obviously that doesn't mean every case is going to go smoothly

I used to be a roofer and dealt with all companies. First, don't reject a company because of a bad roofing experience. It mostly depends on the adjuster. There's a cycle for insurance companies:
1. They are real sticklers to save money.
2. They lose a class action suit for not paying for something (or enough things) they should have.
3. They start "paying for every little thing."
4. They have high cost so they increase their rates.
5. They go back to 1.

I've seen them all go through the cycle. Also, people in DFW think it's unfair when they have to pay their deductible. That's unreasonable.

If you go through an independent agent and pick up a policy from a smaller company (but still AA or AAA rated), you will likely have an adjuster that gets paid a commission on what he totals. Obviosly this is typically better for homeowners filing claims, but not always.