Rheem compressor fan question

1,271 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SCHTICK00
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The fan on the A/C compressor unit starts about 50% of the time, kicking out the compressor thermal reset when it doesn't. Resetting the unit, and a quick nudge of the fan blade, it runs just fine.

Sealed Y209AS --- 1/3 HP motor, motor body quite hot, but that might be normal.

Capacitor issue, or motor? I assume if it's a fried capacitor, it would never start on its own...

Thanks!
UnderoosAg
AG
Dying cap will often randomly start the motor. Start cheap and swap it out.
mikefromdilley
AG
Buy yourself a spare while you're at it. You'll be glad you did some day.
GSS
Replacement 60uF/5uF combo capacitor cured the problem. I have a replacement fan motor also arriving Wed, and will inventory it for possible future issues.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
UmustBKidding
I also stock the contactor, has saved me multiple times. Even had once the authorized service company came out and found a shorted sump heater and had caused contactor to arc and fail but did not have one on truck, but I had one.
yemtig
AG
Awesome job fixing it yourself. I have replaced capacitors a few times. Always look at the top, if it does not look flat and looks curved a bit or deformed in any way, replace it. You can also pull your fuses, discharge your cap using a screwdriver and take a reading with a multimeter. Use 200 or 2000 Ohms.. If there is no reading then its bad.

SCHTICK00
AG
After going without air over a summer weekend and finding out it was the capacitor, I bought one for each unit as a standby. They're cheap and take no time to replace.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.