Removing glue from slab from outdoor carpet

2,948 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie1
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't know best way but I do know that lots of glue is going to prevent any stain from penetrating the surface even after the residue is removed.
03_Aggie
An outdoor tile?
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
Pull the carpet and get a large can of adhesive remover from the box stores. It's going to take hours of scraping, but should come up alright. Get some thick rubber gloves too.
Post removed:
by user
p_bubel
You can try a good pressure washer first, that might get most of it.
Builder93
AG
Get as much as you can off with a scraper. You can get scraper attachments for sawzalls now. Rent a concrete grinder with diamond wheels and go to town on it. Home Depot rental usually has the stuff. If you tell them what you are doing hopefully they will have someone who knows which wheels you need. Before you think tiny little grinder, think walk behind with a 12-18 inch width.
Post removed:
by user
kubiak03
AG
Quote:

Dayton superior J48. use a scraper but it should come up pretty easily. can get from white cap/HD supply, ram tool and CMC construction services.

http://daytonsuperior.com/docs/default-source/tech-data-sheets/citrus_cleaner_j48.pdf?sfvrsn=44fed560_12
GtownRAB
AG
Doing a light grind is actually one of the best ways to prep the concrete.

1) it will open up the concrete and create a profile for the paint or sealer to grab onto

2) removes all the top layer of concrete that the glue soaks into

3) removes the "broom finish" that a lot of porches have for texture. That is a very weak part of the concrete

Grinding is commonly done for concrete floors by contractors.
Builder93
AG
GtownRAB said:

Doing a light grind is actually one of the best ways to prep the concrete.

1) it will open up the concrete and create a profile for the paint or sealer to grab onto

2) removes all the top layer of concrete that the glue soaks into

3) removes the "broom finish" that a lot of porches have for texture. That is a very weak part of the concrete

Grinding is commonly done for concrete floors by contractors.

Thanks for answering. I have installed epoxy floors in the past. This is correct. The edges will be the trick. You'll need to get a small grinder and get on your hands and knees.
Post removed:
by user
Builder93
AG
Angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel. You'll want some kind of dust collection. Use a shop vac to thoroughly clean the concrete after you are done also. Use an attachment that you would use to suck up water. Go over it in rows, like you are mowing the yard. Follow manufavturer's directions for the stain. Prep is everything. Don't rush it.
Post removed:
by user
jt2hunt
AG
Is the glue black? If not scrape it and then rent a floor machine from Home Depot. They have block that fits in the machine that is a floor scraper. Called dymabrushes. It is a lot of metal flaps with diamonds on them and works well:

If the glue is black use a product called beaniedoo to remove the glue first. It turns the glue to a jelly liquid and you can hand scrape it and remove.
Then use the machine.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Builder93
AG
Wow. That's a lot of joints. If you lay tile over that you'll need an uncoupling membrane like Schluter Ditra.
Gary79Ag
AG
Builder93 said:

Wow. That's a lot of joints. If you lay tile over that you'll need an uncoupling membrane like Schluter Ditra.
Yeah, I'm guessing that's the reasoning behind the carpet...
Post removed:
by user
Builder93
AG
third coast.. said:

I honestly don't mind the joints, but I hated the carpet. So tile would be a giant PITA, correct?
It depends on what you call a PIA. To me, no big deal. If you have no idea what you are doing, yes, big PIA.
Flashdiaz
AG
i've never even heard of carpet outdoors, sounds like a terrible idea.

Anyway, how about stamped concrete over the concrete that's already there?
Post removed:
by user
Aggie1
AG
Flashdiaz said:

i've never even heard of carpet outdoors, sounds like a terrible idea.

Astro turf... Tartan, etc., or whatever the latest synthetic athletic field artificial surface is called... OK for wet locations.

There are a number of "indoor/outdoor" carpets available on the market with synthetic backing, low level nylon loop, etc. Not really good for "wet" locations, but if covered and occasionally damp work fine...

Another option besides a layer of stamped, colored concrete is "synthetic terrazzo" which may or may not crack along existing
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah astro turf was a very 70s solution that made much more sense than carpet. I remember granny used to have it over concrete back in the day.

To me all the joints add some character if they are level and you can get the glue off and get it ground and resurfaced like OP mentioned.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.hayneedle.com/tips-and-ideas/outdoor-rug-buying-guide/?mktg_eml_address=1ea54dff-9ebb-4579-812a-2c57b833a93d&source=emlmktg_blanket&tid=email_3889
91AggieLawyer
AG
Anyway for future reference with adhesive on concrete, a torch might help. It might require kneepads and eventual scraping but it should work in getting most of it up.
aggeeme
WD40 -
Aggie1
AG
https://www.houzz.com/shop-houzz/rug-sale?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u11161&utm_medium=email&utm_content=himg&newsletterId=11161
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.