How to rid my large outdoor planters of ants

1,715 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aezmvp
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have 2 large outdoor planters, about 3 ft tall, on either side of the walkway to my front porch. Both are filled up with dirt and are very heavy. Both have lots of plants and flowers. And sadly, both are seeing some of the plants die due to a big ant problem in the planters. Can see them on the edge of the planters climbing up the sides, and can see them in the soil when I dig around.

Short of completely emptying both planters entirely, transplanting the plants and putting all new soil in them, is there a way to kill whatever ants are inside the planters without harming all the flowers and plants?

And if I can manage to kill the ants inside the planters, what's the best way to keep ants from coming back? Can't really elevate the planters on feet. They are both sitting on large square pavers directly on my mulch bed currently
aTm2004
AG
Would sprinkling some ant poison around the plants not work?
redsquirrelAG
AG
Ground up egg shells.
Aggie1
AG
borax
halfbean
AG
Molasses will make them go away.
ftworthag02
AG
Bait like amdro, we use crosscheck
Oogway
I've had good luck with Amdro. I wait until at least the day after I water and then sprinkle it in the planter and also around it. It takes a little while to work, and sometimes I go back a week later and add a little more. The plants always recover for me. I also make sure my Amdro is fresh; the ants seem to avoid it if it isn't fresh. Now, if I could only keep the neighborhood cats from our landscape beds I would be pretty happy...
Good luck!
Malachi Constant
AG
Diatomaceous Earth
Vivificus
AG
I have used orange oil to kill ants in containers with edible plants. I think it's the acid in the oil that dissolves their exoskeleton, doesn't harm the plants.
fire09
AG
Orthene, their motto should be: smells like ****, kills em quick.

Won't hurt most plants, but would consider other options if the planter contains food you plan on eating.
Msgt USAF Ret
If it were me I would spray around the base of the pots with Raid Flying Insect Killer. It works for me on pots like yours, raised flower bed boxes and fire ant mounds. I don't know what it is about spraying around pots and boxes that keep them from coming back but it does. I've also used when I see ants on the kitchen counters I spray the base of the counter at the floor only. Yes it stinks but having ants where they're not wanted sucks.
Jason Ag
AG
This thread on the OB is applicable.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2943061
aezmvp
Pour molten metal through the top hole of the mound?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.