Rachio 3 worth it?

1,941 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HDeathstar
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Controller on my sprinklers is going out, so figure it's time to upgrade.

Rachio 3 is $50 of right now I'm their site but wondered if the 2 was all I needed, because it's $50 cheaper

Any input from those that have it?
mAgnoliAg
AG
We use the Hunter Hydrawise smart controller, but the rachio seems to be the next best in my mind. I would suggest getting the flow meter also, as it will save you money in the long run by detecting leaks and shutting that zone off or all zones off if there's a leak in the main.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have a 2 and it is great, I would jump on the 3 if you are looking to make a change.
dallasiteinsa02
Had the one and just ordered the 3 for our new home. We loved it and it saved us tons.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I look at it like an iPhone. If you're going to upgrade, might as well get the newest and best.
MrJonMan
AG
Went ahead and ordered the 3 late last night. Hope my current controller lasts until it arrives.

Appreciate the input.
txag2008
AG
Just make sure you know what you're getting with the 3. The added features of the 3 require the installation of the included flow meter. Yes, it can be done DIY, but know that it's recommended to be installed above ground. This may or may not be an issue in your case, but could require an in-ground box if your sprinkler main is all underground.

Don't get me wrong, the added functionality is pretty cool, but it's not just a simple as unplugging your current control wires and plugging them back in the new controller.
MrJonMan
AG
txag2008 said:

Just make sure you know what you're getting with the 3. The added features of the 3 require the installation of the included flow meter. Yes, it can be done DIY, but know that it's recommended to be installed above ground. This may or may not be an issue in your case, but could require an in-ground box if your sprinkler main is all underground.

Don't get me wrong, the added functionality is pretty cool, but it's not just a simple as unplugging your current control wires and plugging them back in the new controller.
I didn't see anywhere that it was REQUIRED to have the flow meter. It was simply offered as an add on.

EDIT: Read what you said again, and see what you were saying, I misunderstood. Simply saying that some of the new features are dependent on the use of the flow meter.
HDeathstar
My current one was only compatible with 2.4? wifi versus the 5.0 wifi. I assume the new one has 5.0 wifi compatibility. If may be something to look at. My wifi extender only has 5.0
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.