First Big House Expenditure on My First House - Does this sound about right?

2,171 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Fife
Sueshade10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when I bought the house I knew the AC was older and have lived in the house for a few years. Well the blower and motor (located in my garage) started vibrating and humming very loudly so I cut it off immediately a couple of days ago. AC guys came out today and showed me that I did the right thing to cut it off because the motor was leaking oil and would have gone out/started a fire within 3 months or so. They also looked up the parts to replace the motor and power strip that was fried and said they don't even make parts for it anymore. So they concluded it's time replace the system because its 15-20 years old. They ended up quoting me $10k for all new system.

I live in a house in Plano that was built in the 70's and the duct work runs through the house through the hallways and dramatically lowers the ceiling. I always wanted to get that old duct work taken out, raise the ceiling, and put duct work through the attic so that the house can feel a lot more open. They quoted me $5k for running new duct work, cut outs to the rooms, and walls and ceiling work to rip out old duct work and paint.

So in total they are looking at $15k. Does this sound about right or should I be shopping around for a much lower price? Thanks for the input!
Ag In Texas
AG
I just paid $12k for a totally new 4 ton system in a new home build. $15k doesn't seem out of line to me with the extra labor due to it being a retrofit. What size system are they quoting you and what brand? Mine is a heat pump with two stage compressor and variable speed fan.
The Fife
It doesn't sound too crazy, but I'm not sure how big your place is.
Gary79Ag
AG
Always, always get multiple bids so you have something to compare to!

My neighbor here in Sherman decided to go with someone from the Dallas area, due to their high pressure sales pitch, versus using local reputable companies that quoted his job approximately $5K less. When the Dallas installers started work they further pressured him in doing all kinds of upgrades and in the end it cost him more that $7K more in the long haul, so $12K more than the locals.

They took advantage of an eldery gentleman and unfortunately he paid for it.
aggiedent
AG
My downstairs unit just crapped out after 16 years. I paid $5600 for a 5 ton 16 seer Trane, which included the outside unit and new coils in the attic. No furnace replacement.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Y'all need friends in the ac business
Paid about 9k for a 4 ton and 2ton complete replacement. Cost of equipment for complete system and 3k install fee
akaggie05
AG
I call BS on the "don't make parts for it anymore." Blower motors are a dime a dozen and a generic replacements are plentiful. Although the system is old, a new $200 motor could very keep you going for another 5-6 years. Just something to consider, especially if you don't feel like shelling out for a new system right now.
Ulrich
Definitely worth seeing if you can find a local honest electrician who can tell if all you need is to replace the motor. Saved myself a few thousand dollars, that was two years ago and it's still running like a champ.
sellthefarm
AG
I just had the blower replaced on my downstairs unit that's about 25 years old and last year I had my upstairs unit replaced (4 ton if I remember correctly) for 3500. I think you need to call at least two more companies.
Texker
AG
akaggie05 said:

I call BS on the "don't make parts for it anymore." Blower motors are a dime a dozen and a generic replacements are plentiful. Although the system is old, a new $200 motor could very keep you going for another 5-6 years. Just something to consider, especially if you don't feel like shelling out for a new system right now.
I had an issue with my system and a few years back and needed a quick/cheap fix. The techs at Levy & Son kept it running for a very reasonable cost until I could manage the cost of a replacement system. They service the Plano area.
Long Live Sully
AG
akaggie05 said:

This is the correct answer.
Sueshade10
AG
Thank you all for the input! Great advice here! They want to put in a 3 and a half ton unit.

They also indicated that the blower mower was brand specific for my model and that a universal motor wouldn't work. What do you think-BS?
Long Live Sully
AG
Tacoma10 said:

Thank you all for the input! Great advice here! They want to put in a 3 and a half ton unit.

They also indicated that the blower mower was brand specific for my model and that a universal motor wouldn't work. What do you think-BS?
That is a lie from the pit of Hell. We FORBID you from spending any money with these people.

EDIT - Take a pic of the nameplate on the motor and post it.
Sueshade10
AG
They are quoting me for 3 and a half ton Lennox ac system with heat pump. They quoted 9.5k for that. Then the extra 5.5k would be to run new duct work through the house and tear out the old. That price includes dry wall and paint to raise the ceiling.
Long Live Sully
AG
Tacoma10 said:

They are quoting me for 3 and a half ton Lennox ac system with heat pump. They quoted 9.5k for that. Then the extra 5.5k would be to run new duct work through the house and tear out the old. That price includes dry wall and paint to raise the ceiling.
Well.. You should have them wax the foundation and clear coat your roof then.
Sueshade10
AG
Lol thanks for the advice! Going to get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd opinion then. I appreciate the help!!
Sueshade10
AG
I'll try to get a pic shortly. Having a second opinion come within the hour.

Also my brothers best friend owns an AC business in New Mexico and he thinks I'm being overcharged as well. Good to get those extra opinions.
BreNayPop
AG
Second opinion for sure
Ulrich
For anything over a thousand I get three quotes and I make sure they all know I'm getting three quotes. Usually seems to work out that one is so far off it's not worth calling back and the other two it comes down to details and how I feel about the company.
PlanoAg98
AG
I live in a 1979 house in Plano. It's a beautiful house and neighborhood but I know things will be going out over time. I got a home warranty for about $75 per month. That's less than $1k per year. I've claimed well over $1k each of the 3 years I've lived there. If you own an older house, get a home warranty to avoid these big repair expenses (~ $5k or <). If anything, it's piece of mind.
JP76
Tacoma10 said:

What SEER is the unit ?
Single or variable speed blower ?
Sueshade10
AG
So I got a second opinion today. Slightly different strategy. They quoted 7k for 3 ton train 15 AC and 4k for duct work. I'm learning a lot! Thanks everyone for the info!
DannyDuberstein
AG
What about the motor? Did they say it wasn't replaceable?
Sueshade10
AG
Yes. They said it wasn't replaceable. Both companies said they couldnt replace the parts. I'm just biting the bullet on this one I guess.
JP76
What brand is the current HVAC unit ?
Sueshade10
AG
Ac is carrier from 2000 and blower is Kenmore from 2004. They said it is R22...forgive my ignorance there but they said that rating is outdated and doesn't follow EPA guidelines anymore
fire09
AG
I Got a new 17 SEER Trane CU and coil done for $3800. Would have been another $3k had I done the blower and furnace. Without knowing what kind of demo and Reno needs to be done on the ductwork and ceilings it's hard to tell if you are getting a good deal.

Almost every size fan motors are available at grainger. I seriously doubt that it is so special that it can't be replaced with something similar.

R-22 is the refrigerant type. It is in phase out but has nothing to do with your fan motor. It will only come into play when You decide to replace the CU/coil
The Fife
If it hasn't been done before I'd have whatever replacement unit sized for your actual house - not kind of BS x tons / sq ft figure, but something that takes into account cubic footage to be conditioned and shading. When our old house was built the trees were all small, but when the previous owners replaced the systems trees were big enough to shade the house from the southwest. They were very much oversized - humidity was high because they didn't run very long whenever they cycled on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.