Installing ductless mini split AC

1,675 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Long Live Sully
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever done their own? How hard is it?

Thanks
Martin Q. Blank
Not hard. Once it's hooked up, you'll need the ability to pull a vacuum to ensure the lines are sealed before releasing the freon.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Mr. Cool has a DIY version that comes pre-charged.
Long Live Sully
AG
Not hard.

I bought this unit for a guest house.

LG Minisplit

Be sure to buy the compatible line set as well. It it precharged, but I paid an AC guy to start it up anyway. All told I had $1,100 in it.
JAW3336
AG
Thanks guys, I didn't know there was a DIY option without needing the vacuum stuff.
Martin Q. Blank
You still need to pull a vacuum to ensure there are no leaks and remove contamination in the lines before you release the freon.
Cromagnum
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

Not hard.

I bought this unit for a guest house.

LG Minisplit

Be sure to buy the compatible line set as well. It it precharged, but I paid an AC guy to start it up anyway. All told I had $1,100 in it.

I'm intrigued. I have an upstairs room above my garage that doesn't cool enough from the central AC so this may work. Is it possible to run a drain line through the attic to either water heater drain pan for example? Can the hot air from the compressor be vented into the attic, (or does it even need to vent?)
Long Live Sully
AG

Long Live Sully
AG
The drain line comes off the back of the wall unit. I just drilled a hole to run the line set and drain line through an exterior wall. There are instructions in the installation manual for that scenario.

Manual
JAW3336
AG
Pretty sure the compressor will need to be outside.
Long Live Sully
AG
Correct.. Compressor is outside. Coil and Fan are inside.
mneisch
AG
I'm thinking about purchasing one of these for our enclosed sunroom. Right now we have a 9k BTU window unit, but it just can't keep up and is incredibly loud. The mini split has the added benefit of a heat pump to warm the room during winter. I'm looking at the 12k BTU Pioneer system, which universally seems well reviewed. There is an option for either 110v or 220v, any reason to go one way or the other? I have an open 220v breaker on my box that I can use to install the necessary sub-panel, so I was thinking about going that route.
Long Live Sully
AG
Go with the 220 volts for sure. It will cost you less to run especially if you have a built-in heat strip.
mneisch
AG
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-Conditioner-Inverter-Ductless/dp/B01DVW6G42/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1525452078&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pioneer+ductless&psc=1

Thats the one I'm looking at. I am comfortable doing the electrical, line routing etc, but will use an A/C technician to pull the vacuum and test the lines. Any issues I might not anticipate?
Long Live Sully
AG
One thing I've heard about mini splits is that you really want to know where the compressor was built. Some brands have poorly built Chinese compressors. From my reading LG, Mitsubishi, and Fuji are the brands to buy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.