Garbage Disposal

1,507 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UnderoosAg
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All of a sudden my garbage disposal will not turn on when activating the switch on the wall.

It started at a low noise, but the mechanism inside the sink would not rotate. Then the next day when you flip the switch to turn it on.....nothing. No sounds, nothing.

What's going on?
Gary79Ag
AG
CAR96 said:

All of a sudden my garbage disposal will not turn on when activating the switch on the wall.

It started at a low noise, but the mechanism inside the sink would not rotate. Then the next day when you flip the switch to turn it on.....nothing. No sounds, nothing.

What's going on?
Check for a red reset botton on the bottom of the disposal and push it and see what happens!
KK
yep, red button on bottom.

If it is making that "low noise" then that means it is stuck.

Flip the switch off, get your allen wrenches, on the bottom, center, find the right size and just turn back and forth a few times.
CAR96
AG
Red button didn't do it.

What am I adjusting with Allen wrenches?
BourbonAg
AG
Something is stuck in the mechanism and you are trying to work it loose by turning it back and forth.
CAR96
AG
Ok. Where do I attach the wrenches. I couldn't see anything underneath the disposal to attach a wrench.
CAR96
AG
Never mind, I just saw where on a photo on the Internet.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Probably too late, but you can stick a broom handle down into the disposal and use it to turn the blades a couple times. If the red button and this don't work, it might be the end of the line for it.
CAR96
AG
I got it working. Adjusting from the bottom and the red reset button did it.
chipotle
Wish I knew about this red button and wrench thing. Our disposal stopped working(wouldn't power on), said screw it, and replaced myself. Wasn't expensive or difficult. Thing was 10 years old, might have been time.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
chipotle said:

Wish I knew about this red button and wrench thing. Our disposal stopped working(wouldn't power on), said screw it, and replaced myself. Wasn't expensive or difficult. Thing was 10 years old, might have been time.
Every new disposal that I've seen comes with an angled wrench like the one below. It doesn't adjust anything, it's just used to rotate the motor and blades to free them up when jammed. I would bet your new disposal came with one.

There were multiple times in days gone by that I reset the red button and then freed up the motor/blades with the wrench. Then had to remove the drain line and clean out the potato peelings or the like that my wife or one of our daughters had put in there causing the jam.
Gary79Ag
AG
Yeah, but I'm sure a lot of times those wrenches get thrown out as folks typically have no clue what they're for...
CAR96
AG
I used a 1/4" allen wrench, worked great.
62strat
AG
Wrenchette.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Yeah, but I'm sure a lot of times those wrenches get thrown out as folks typically have no clue what they're for...
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the case.
UnderoosAg
AG
HumbleAg said:

There were multiple times in days gone by that I reset the red button and then freed up the motor/blades with the wrench. Then had to remove the drain line and clean out the potato peelings or the like that my wife or one of our daughters had put in there causing the jam.

I'll see your potato peelings and raise you a shot glass. Twice. There's a screen on the sink drain now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.