Outdoor ceiling fan problem

1,251 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 213 Grove
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have two fans on our covered back porch on the same switch and just this past weekend when I tried to turn them on the light kits both flickered instantly before they went off and now they won't come on at all. The fans themselves work fine but the light kits won't come on at all and all bulbs are fine.

Do I maybe have a bad switch on the wall? The electric is never exposed to direct water contact but I suppose humidity could degrade things over time? I haven't done any work in that area recently that could have accidentally damaged anything.

Thanks.
K_P
AG
are the lights switched separately from the fans?
ReloadAg
AG
Yea two different switches
Mookie
AG
The neutral for the lights come loose somewhere?
DriftwoodAg
AG
do you have a multimeter? if you are getting voltage coming to the switch and leaving the switch, then it would be the light. It looks like newer fans have a wattage limiter that may fail
ReloadAg
AG
I'll check out the switch this evening. I would doubt it's something in the fans themselves due to both light kits failing at the exact same time.
DriftwoodAg
AG
I didn't catch the two fan part. I'd say it's either the switch or some weird wiring that has the lights and fans on different breakers
ReloadAg
AG
I unscrewed the switch last night and as I was pulling it out of the box with the wires still attached to it the red wire just snapped in half with very little force applied to it so I'm guessing it was pretty corroded and brittle. I haven't changed out the switch yet but could that be the culprit?
TexAg1987
Yes it could.
213 Grove
AG
This happened to me just a few weeks ago in my Master. Haven't figured it out yet either.

Im probably just looking at buying a new fan as the manufacturer doesn't make the light kit to fit my fan anymore
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.