Lawn mower not starting.

2,859 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JSKolache
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Troy bolt TB110 full of gas but just won't start. What do I do? TIA
Smithjg
How fresh is the gas? Iam it's more than a month or so old, use fresh gas. Replace the spark plug, if that doesn't work, if it has a fuel filter, replace the fuel filter.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
If above doesn't work, grab some easy start spray. Remove filter, spray into engine and then pull string. Try this a few times, should get it going.
Gary79Ag
AG
First, check to see if you have a spark...plug plug wire from spark plug, stick a screw driver in the plug and try to start with screw driver near metal and see if it sparks across the gap. If it does, then it most likely is not getting any gas.

Put a little gasoline in an empty water bottle. Cut a little slit in the cap. Spray a little gas into the carburetor while trying to start it. If it starts, you need to replace the gas filter or clean the carburetor to fix your issue.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
When's the last time it ran? Might just need to clean the carb out.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Trash it and buy a new one.
V8Aggie
AG
Did you put gas in it?
Josepi
AG
It is always 1 of 3 things that causes an engine not to start. Fire, Fuel, or Oxygen.

Fire - Check your spark plug
Fuel - Does it have gas? If the gas getting to the engine (check that the carb isn't clogged)
Oxygen - Clean the filter
BrazosDog02
AG
I have never seen spark or air problems on a mower. Not even ones that havn't had air filters cleaned in 15 years. Your problem is the carb. Confirm with ether. Spray it into the throat. If it fires briefly, then you have air and spark and the issue is fuel mix due to carb issues. Clean it.

Ether does not fix problems and there is zero excuse for an internal combustion engine to fire without it provided its in working order.
Josepi
AG
Several years ago, I had a Toro mower and a backyard with large dirt patches. When the motor went over the dirt areas, it would kick up a lot of dust, jam up the air filter, and the mower would die. I would have to take the filter off, bang it on the sidewalk a few times to get the dirt out, and the mower would start back up. Typically had to clean the filter 2-3 times per mow. When I mowed the front yard which had nicer grass and no dirt, it ran fine.

I have a Honda mower now that doesn't do that. I hated that Toro mower. It was a finicky s.o.b.

And yes, I agree. A clogged carb is by far the #1 problem I have ever had with mowers.
NWE
AG
Thanks, y'all. I'm going to look at it tonight.
dodger02
AG
If none of the above suggestions work, then just hit it with a hammer. Serious.

Not serious.
dodger02
AG
I'm drinking.
Sueshade10
AG
This just happened to me as my mower sat out all winter. I made sure the filter was good and then cleaned the carb and it started right up. Took me 20 minutes.
jtraggie99
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I have never seen spark or air problems on a mower. Not even ones that havn't had air filters cleaned in 15 years. Your problem is the carb. Confirm with ether. Spray it into the throat. If it fires briefly, then you have air and spark and the issue is fuel mix due to carb issues. Clean it.

Ether does not fix problems and there is zero excuse for an internal combustion engine to fire without it provided its in working order.

I had the same issue recently and it was the air filter. Bought a new (used) mower recently. Troy bilt with a Honda mower. When I bought it the guy pointed out that it needed a new air filter. First day using it, it started stalling and then wouldn't start. Took the air filter off, and it started right up. Put in a new air filter and have had no problems since. So yes, a very dirty air filter can restrict air flow enough that it will prevent it from starting.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Go to Autozone or possibly Walmart and pick up 2 things: Berrymans B12 SPRAY and a can of starting fluid (various brands). Spray the heck out of the carb area with the B12. You don't have to pull the carb but it is a good idea to take out the air filter and shoot some down that way. Then, try to start it. If that fails, shoot the starting fluid in either the same area (air cleaner) or for some mowers, down the muffler will work too. That SHOULD start the mower.

If it starts but won't run, your gas is bad. You don't have to throw it out completely, but get it back into a 5 gallon can and dilute it with fresh gas. At any rate, get fresh gas into the mower and it should run. If all that fails you have to look into the plug or air issues, but I've never had those issues on a mower. And I've pulled and cleaned or rebuilt carbs on probably 8 mowers and a half dozen other small engine items.

Every year at the end of mower season, change the oil, run the engine until it runs out of gas, spray the carb with B12 and every other year put a new plug and air filter in. In the spring, spray with B12 again and possibly starting fluid, and use a gas additive to keep your gas fresh all year.
Jason Ag
AG
I've been down that road. Here's what I've done with great success:

Either all the time or the last month or so use ethanol free gas. Then for storage put some stabil in the gas and fill the tank to the top. My rider started right up after sitting since October.

Of course, it depends on access to ethanol free
gas. I've used this site: www.pure-gas.org

I used to pass by a place that sold it and i just used it all the time. Now its a bit if a drive, but not having to fiddle with my small engines has been great.

JSKolache
AG
Clean the carb with spray, toothpicks, etc. Then treat your gas can each time you fill it up with Stabil, ethanol treatment, etc. Modern ethanol gas is hell on small engine carbs, but small engine carbs are easy to clean.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.