Outdoor kitchen?

5,328 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LSB_2002
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just spent about $50k in landscaping including new outdoor living space with a cedar 14' x 14' pergola. I had water, electric and a gas line run to the fire pit and to the area where the kitchen was going to be installed. They wanted almost $10k for a gas grill, sink and small fridge all encased in stone of course. I'm thinking I can do this myself. I've seen some outdoor kitchen kits and was wondering if this is truly something I can do myself or am I getting in over my head. Thoughts?
Oogway
First off, we need pics of this 50k outdoor landscape renovation. Sounds pretty nice so share a little!

Second, since AggieFactor is just about finished with his ...erm...one week...three week bathroom reno, of course you should DIY! Check out https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2936934
for planning tips.

Gary79 will be along shortly with the spreadsheet. Were you planning on doing this over a weekend or taking some time off from work? Asking for a friend.
Reload8098
AG
I anticipate it taking several weekends unless I buy a prefab kit. Then I just have to assemble and then put the decorative stone or brick and add a countertop. Saves a couple of thousand. I'll add pics later.
Enviroag02
AG
I'm getting close to finishing my outdoor kitchen which has up to this point been completely DIY. I used the BBQ Coach framing system with 18 gauge steel and welded end frames. The parts for that including three stainless steel doors, cutouts, screws, etc was about $1700. I just poured my concrete countertops a week ago and will soon stain. Next up is electrical and plumbing then stain. All in with grill, egg, and drop in fire feature it's gonna be about $6,000.

txag2008
AG
Looks great so far. Is that wood plank tile on the floor?
alabamaaggie12
AG
Not familiar with what the kitchen kit is, but based on our experience with our outdoor living space, don't pay a premium for an "outdoor" rated fridge. Our neighbors did, theirs crapped out. I found a $400 Danby with refrigerator only that is still kicking after 9 years. Not sure what size it is, but pretty sure it is less than 5 cu ft and it holds a lot of beer. In North Alabama we've had some single digit temps, but it hasn't had a problem. Our outdoor faucet...well that's another story. It has not liked the cold. And since we rarely even find ourselves wanting to use the outside sink, it just sits in its broken state. So my other advice would be save $$ on your sink, because you may not use it as much as you think you will. I bought a stainless steel farmhouse sink and envisioned icing beverages down in it, washing large pans from grilling, etc, and that (even if the faucet didn't freeze and die) hasn't materialized. Ice chests are more efficient and the kitchen is only 30 feet away.

We don't have a gas grill, but we put the XL BGE in the corner between the counter and the fireplace hearth, so it sits on stone instead of being encased.

So, all that to say don't spend extra on "outdoor" rated stuff...
Enviroag02
AG
txag2008 said:

Looks great so far. Is that wood plank tile on the floor?

Extremely dirty stamped and stained concrete
Enviroag02
AG
I decided not to do a sink because everyone I talked to that had one didn't really use it that much and it saved on plumbing.
Forum Troll
AG
Enviroag02 said:

I decided not to do a sink because everyone I talked to that had one didn't really use it that much and it saved on plumbing.
I've heard this as well. Whenever I get around to putting mine in, will be a grill, mini fridge, and bar.
Oogway
Nice set up. Your neighbors have trees. Do you have trees?

*just kidding you a little...thanks for posting some pics; when you get it finished show us all you've accomplished!
aezmvp
Forum Troll said:

Enviroag02 said:

I've heard this as well. Whenever I get around to putting mine in, will be a grill, mini fridge, and bar.
my folks did this in their previous house (put in a sink). Used twice in 10 years. Waste of prep space.
Reload8098
AG
I was thinking of putting in an ice maker instead of a fridge. Thoughts?
That's a nice DIY job! I have the XL KJ but plan on leaving it on its wheels and moving it wherever I want it. Will install a gas grill for when we want to grill something quickly and have already run gas line for grill and to use as the starter for the wood burning fire pit.
Oogway
Personally, I wouldn't install an ice maker. It seems like they break a lot and also pull a fair amount of power. Might be better served to invest in a good cooler and buy bags of ice or something when you have a large group. The more experienced posters may have a better idea of the usefulness though.
Enviroag02
AG
Oogway said:

Nice set up. Your neighbors have trees. Do you have trees?

*just kidding you a little...thanks for posting some pics; when you get it finished show us all you've accomplished!

The subdivision was built in 2004 and my lot was vacant until we bought and started construction on a custom home in 2016. So most of my neighbors do have semi mature trees. We have 6 newly planted trees. 2 autum blaze maples, a red oak, cedar elm, and Chinese pistache. Putting in our front and back flower beds in a week or two with $$$ in perennials and evergreens. Then eventually we will complete the back yard with a pond behind the black iron fence but before the white fence, some eastern red cedars for privacy, magnolias and redbuds for aesthetics.

More info on the kitchen. I used Liquicrete additive and Quikrete Sand Topping Mix for the countertops with fiberglass mesh. The grill is a Saber and the egg is a large copper a Grill Dome (thicker ceramic than a BGE and stainless hinge and moldings vs black).
Oogway
Those are great trees. We have a red oak in the front and we love it. Love the others as well. Congrats on your build!
jt2hunt
AG
Awesome! I would love to see more pictures of you have them. Specifically, the countertop process. Did you use z forms? Curious as to you uses wood and steel Ilon your framing? I can't decide if I am going to use liquicrete or the 5000psi countertop mix you can buy at the big boxstores. I really like the concrete gray color. What sealer did you use?
Enviroag02
AG
I did use the Z Counterforms and my edges turned out awesome! I did have to temporarily use wooden supports on the overhangs since I had to allow for a 1/4"-1/2" scratch coat and natural stone veneer. I used the FG50 fiberglass mesh which meant I essentially had to use the Liquicrete and sand topping mix in order for it to flow through the mesh. I am going to stain it so it has no color or sealer at the moment. That will happen next weekend. I'm going with Smith Color Floor water based stain Nutmeg color. It will go well with the Oklahoma chopped thin stone veneer I'm doing.

There is wood inside the metal frame to create a cabinet where the doors are. That will also be stained. The cabinet with the single door will contain my lump charcoal. The cabinet on the left will contain all my Grill Dome accessories. I'm gonna have an outlet to the right of the egg for my RapidLite charcoal lighter. On the left is my bartop with stools and a tabletop drop in propane (house propane) fireglass pit. So it will have automatic ignition and a gas key valve as well. I have a space to the right of the kitchen that's open between the kitchen and the corner of my house that I may at some point build a planter with a built in ice chest drawer. Thought about doing a built in ice chest in the diagonal shaped countertop but felt like having the extra prep space was better.
Enviroag02
AG
More photos

Completed framing before I finished the cabinets

Finished interior cabinets, getting cement board up

Look at one of the cabinets. Not the best carpentry but its gonna be full of accessories so I wasnt too worried about it. I will stain and coat in polyurethane.

Completed cement board. Mortared all the joints.

Forms on and mesh installed

Close up of mesh

Profile of form before mesh was put in

Before concrete pour

Right after concrete pour with overhand reinforcement

Egg

Grill

The counter top fire feature in this pic is what mine will look like on the bar part. It's an American Fireglass drop in burner with 1/4" copper colored fireglass.

Forum Troll
AG
Thanks for the pics. I've been contemplating building my kitchen with this system as well. What is underneath between the frame and the concrete? Is the frame mounted into the concrete or just sitting on top?
Enviroag02
AG
It's screwed into some composite decking (Trex board) and the Trex board is not secured to the patio floor. Once I got the cement board on it was tough to move anything and now that the 1000 lbs of concrete countertop are in it's not going anywhere! Because the frame is 1/2" off the ground I can wash down my patio and it flows right underneath it off the patio. Helps prevent rust as well. In fact I think BBQ Coach requires that for warranty purposes.
Enviroag02
AG
FYI you make think you can get by on framing using steel tracks and studs from the big box store but beware that's cheap 20 gauge material and you don't get fully welded and square end frames.

I've done everything but mixing concrete and grinding tops with my cordless Rigid 18v tools. Used carbine jigsaw blade on the cement board. Porter Cable random orbital to polish tops, and rented mud mixing drill with handles to mix the concrete. For the Liquicrete you mix the additive up for 2 minutes to break up the fibers then add the 60 lb cement mix. I had 2 helpers with me. One had a bad back so he just mixed. The other had screeding and crude finishing experience so that's what he did. I did the heavy lifting with the bags of cement and dumping the 5 gallon buckets. You have to work quickly as it starts to set up pretty fast. Forms were pulled off 60 hrs after pouring.
Oogway
Nice looking set-up! Oh and +1 for having a pretty tidy garage considering you were building in there!
Enviroag02
AG
So my outdoor kitchen is finally done! Just need a couple bar stools and to do the propane conversion on my grill, but here it is!

v
aezmvp
Nice job!
Oogway
Wow! That is very nice. Love the whole setup!
Enviroag02
AG
Better video. I left the door flange film on until I can grout around it.

LSB_2002
AG
Very nice!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.