Adding Second Floor living space to Existing Garage

21,597 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Should the subfloor for the entire 2nd floor be sticking out of the siding? Is this some sort of feature I am unaware of?
Guitarsoup
AG

Towns03 said:

Gary79Ag said:

Plus you won't have mud daubers and/or wasps building nests under there...
mud daubers don't like blue? I'm covered up with mud on my porch. will that really help??
Zero mud dobbers over the year on the blue. Several built on top of doorways.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Should the subfloor for the entire 2nd floor be sticking out of the siding? Is this some sort of feature I am unaware of?

Short answer: NO.

I am unaware of the context here, but typically the sheating continues up , then the weather barrier, then a ledger on spacers for the horizontal framing to tie into. the concept of flashing here is accurate, but the detail will fail. look for the plywood to begin swelling and failing at the edges due to moisture.
Guitarsoup
AG
Looks like most of my pics linked to Facebook have failed.

Built a 2nd story living space for my disabled father to live in above my detached garage. This is the subfloor of that 2nd story. This part of it is over a steel I-Beam.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
I would have substantial concern that this will leak and fail much quicker than it should. It could also take substantial re-work to do correctly. By correctly I mean having a water tight detail. Also, wind uplift could be a problem, though not as likely, in that the sheathing panels often span the plate to help anchor the second floor studs. Likelihood of an issue increases if in coastal areas.
Guitarsoup
AG
Thanks! Kingwood - NE Houston. Area that floods pretty damn regularly.
Sazerac
AG
That's sub floor going through exterior siding and connecting to an exterior deck?

Hell no that's not acceptable
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
If it is an option, consider withholding payment for a portion of the work until it is corrected. It's a substantial issue.
agdaddy04
AG
Architelico said:

If it is an option, consider withholding payment for a portion of the work until it is corrected. It's a substantial issue.

Looks like it's too late for that. He bumped this from a year ago.
Guitarsoup
AG
City of Houston is sending an inspector for a courtesy visit to investigate the floor sticking out of the siding.

Thanks for the help here.
Guitarsoup
AG

Guitarsoup said:

City of Houston is sending an inspector for a courtesy visit to investigate the floor sticking out of the siding.

Thanks for the help here.
He suggested getting an attorney involved because it will cause so many problems down the road.
agdaddy04
AG
You had mentioned before it was an Ag, right? Don't think he'd fix it to protect his reputation and do what's right?
Guitarsoup
AG

agdaddy04 said:

You had mentioned before it was an Ag, right? Don't think he'd fix it to protect his reputation and do what's right?
He is an Aggie and he is prominent at our church. I don't think he will fix it unless I file a lawsuit or threaten to go hard on reviews and social media.
bco2003
AG
How did you run across it and start asking questions?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Unfortunately if you've already paid him out, you're just going to have to get it fixed (if you need it fixed or the city doesn't like it) and then take him to small claims court. You'll need a lot of back up though to prove that is not common or correct construction practice.

If you've got a lawyer friend have him write a letter for proper notification then go from there. Give the guy a timeline to respond & remedy and note if no response if received you'll be having it fixed and taking him to court. Any back up you can get from the architect and/or structural engineer about it being unsafe, not structural sound, etc. will go a long way in a letter and in court if needed.

Best of luck, I do not envy your position.
TMoney2007
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Unfortunately if you've already paid him out, you're just going to have to get it fixed (if you need it fixed or the city doesn't like it) and then take him to small claims court. You'll need a lot of back up though to prove that is not common or correct construction practice.

If you've got a lawyer friend have him write a letter for proper notification then go from there. Give the guy a timeline to respond & remedy and note if no response if received you'll be having it fixed and taking him to court. Any back up you can get from the architect and/or structural engineer about it being unsafe, not structural sound, etc. will go a long way in a letter and in court if needed.

Best of luck, I do not envy your position.
Depending on how far you want to go to make it right, it may end up outside of small claims court.

The decking should be flush with the framing, and the house wrap should continue and I think it should overlap a drip edge where the deck is in the picture. It would involve removing some siding, and some of the deck.

There are probably ways that you could make it passable without doing that much work, but I'm not really qualified to make that call. As it stands now, the edge of the decking is going to wick moisture into the interior and rot. It isn't rated for continuous exposure.
Guitarsoup
AG
This builder never got several inspections done. Today was supposed to be the final inspection.

City of Houston failed it.

We started working on the project in March 2017. It was supposed to be done by Thanksgiving 2017.

Still not done.

It will definitely be bigger than small claims. And I won't be the first person to sue them if it comes to that.
Guitarsoup
AG
This was supposed to be complete by Thanksgiving 2017.

City of Houston finally approved it.
Gary79Ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

WOW, that's just crazy, Guitarsoup!

Closing on a house just across the street tomorrow evening that we plan to either flip or rent out. Hope we have much better luck!
bco2003
AG
Guitarsoup said:

They fixed the sub floor protruding outside issue?
Guitarsoup
AG

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

They did. And they begrudginly addressed other issues. It's been a royal cluster. The builder is a crook (and an embarrassment of an Aggie), but you guys already knew that.

I don't think they were planning on fixing it, and I still had to make them come out multiple times to get it right. I think they were totally blindsided by going to the city inspectors and then city inspectors were pretty upset by what the builder was pulling. They failed it multiple times before finally passing it late last week. But they made the builder jump through multiple hoops.
bco2003
AG
Good stuff. Sounds like a effective method of not letting them off of the hook.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Guitarsoup said:

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

They did. And they begrudginly addressed other issues. It's been a royal cluster. The builder is a crook (and an embarrassment of an Aggie), but you guys already knew that.

I don't think they were planning on fixing it, and I still had to make them come out multiple times to get it right. I think they were totally blindsided by going to the city inspectors and then city inspectors were pretty upset by what the builder was pulling. They failed it multiple times before finally passing it late last week. But they made the builder jump through multiple hoops.

Who's the builder. Expose him! Has he posted here before?
p_bubel
Man, that's nuts!
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Guitarsoup said:

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I don't know if he has posted here before. But he did graduate from A&M in Construction Science.

As an attorney, I'm sure you understand why I'm not playing all my cards before I need to. Who knows what else we will find that they ****ed up down the road.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texas Lawyer said:

Guitarsoup said:

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I don't know if he has posted here before. But he did graduate from A&M in Construction Science.

As an attorney, I'm sure you understand why I'm not playing all my cards before I need to. Who knows what else we will find that they ****ed up down the road.
So you have a lawyer Given what you've shown, that's very wise.

I happen to be a construction lawyer, so let me know if I can help.

I'm also about to embark on my own master bed/bath/hall bath/kitchen renovation and plan to chronicle here.
Guitarsoup
AG
He wasn't a construction attorney, but my stepdad had a pretty good career in law. Then he retired and stopped paying his bar dues immediately so no one could actually ask him to do any lawyering. So not a lawyer, but had some good father-son advice.
Marvin_Zindler
ABATTBQ11
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texas Lawyer said:

Guitarsoup said:

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

WTF? I graduated with a COSC degree and there's no way anyone coming out of that program should think that was acceptable. This guy sounds like a POS who deserves to be burned.
ABATTBQ11
AG
T&P to your contractor
Guitarsoup
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texas Lawyer said:

Guitarsoup said:

bco2003 said:

Guitarsoup said:

WTF? I graduated with a COSC degree and there's no way anyone coming out of that program should think that was acceptable. This guy sounds like a POS who deserves to be burned.

I can't disagree

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.