Adding Second Floor living space to Existing Garage

21,726 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are building a second floor living area over our garage as a place for my disabled father to live.

We would demo the 23'x23' garage, but I am pretty fond of it:

We also found out that despite no power lines above our garage, there is a aerial easement over the back side of the garage.

Plans are to come forward 5 feet to satisfy the stupid easement, but build a 30x30 structure, raising the ceiling of the existing garage to 10 feet from 8 feet to enable me to fit a lift. Then a 30' by 8' upstairs deck/patio.

Inside, mostly open except for that back room which will have W/D, bathroom/closet.

Permits applied for in August, then Harvey happens. Approved in late December, then waited on HOA.

They engineered a way to reinforce the current slab. City inspectors and the engineers have come out and approved it.

Then new driveway/slab poured today.

The big box you see just left of center is the foundation for the electric dumbwaiter. Stairs will wrap around it.

And let my 5yo and 3yo go to town.

Those are Rainbows on the right.

mikefromdilley
AG
Is it too late to widen some of those doors to the bathroom area? If he is in, or ever needs to be in a wheelchair, he might really benefit from wider access. Very cool of you to do this.
Guitarsoup
AG
mikefromdilley said:

Is it too late to widen some of those doors to the bathroom area? If he is in, or ever needs to be in a wheelchair, he might really benefit from wider access. Very cool of you to do this.
Good idea, I'm sure that is an easy change. The shower will have a bench, two shower heads and one will be a handheld one.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
Have you considered adding a tankless water heater to complete the package?
ChoppinDs40
AG
If he's in a wheelchair, have you considered the difficulty in making it up those stairs or are you using that as a way to corral him up there?

Maybe a little lift off the side of the deck would work.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Fife said:

Old man can suck it up and deal with cold water like God intended
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieFanatic09 said:

If he's in a wheelchair, have you considered the difficulty in making it up those stairs or are you using that as a way to corral him up there?

Maybe a little lift off the side of the deck would work.

He isn't in a wheel chair and is really light since he hasn't had solid food in almost 20 years. He gets up and down the stairs fine, but will likely not leave it one he has a tough time with stairs
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

Took the words right outta my mouth Fife!

Guitarsoup, you obviously haven't been on the HI board much...otherwise you would have realized what Fife was getting at with that comment...
Throwout
AG
Looking forward to following the progress on this.
Guitarsoup
AG
Concrete is curing today, so I started the demo of the deck while workers are gone. We have a 600sf deck and a hot tub that we are removing.

Lazy man post digger? Racing jack.

Guitarsoup
AG
Update, my 3yo son is mad at me because I tore up the part of the deck he likes to stand on and pee off of.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
I second the wider door thought and make all of them pocket doors to eliminate the lost swing space. Sink or vanity at ADA, wheelchair height, all light switches wheelchair height accessible too.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I stumbled across using a farm jack to lift out fence posts. Drill a couple of holes in the post and bolt a block to the side of the post. Jack the whole post and concrete ball right out of the ground. Saved me a ton of effort on removing a fence last fall. Only problem I ran into was sometimes it just cracked the post out of the ball leaving me with a concrete block underground which could have been an issue if I was replacing the fence and needed to put a new post in that position.
Aggieangler93
AG
When I hit this issue, I just take the flat end of a rockbar diagnally out each corner of the old post hole square, and the concrete comes up in 2 or 3 pieces. It's fairly simple and takes about 6 hits per post usually.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgLA06
AG
Who did the design and who's doing the construction? Ballpark on budget?

We're thinking about something similar for my grandmother.
Guitarsoup
AG
AgLA06 said:

Who did the design and who's doing the construction?

I'm going to leave that out for now. The guy who I hired is an Ag.

Quote:

Ballpark on budget?
Expensive as **** and gets more expensive every day.
AgLA06
AG
Sorry if I got too personal. I remember a RTT thread where he did his above garage apartment and it seemed to be about $130K, but there wasn't a lot of options for contractors or designers.
Guitarsoup
AG
I got wood
Guitarsoup
AG

Time between pics: about a half hour.

txag2008
AG
Those are pretty crappy pics from a photographer.....
Guitarsoup
AG
The real cameras don't come out unless I am getting paid.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Of course it only took half an hour, its demo!

That's the fun part!

Edit to Add: Looks like you're going to have quite a bit of dirt work to do in front of the garage to get a driveway in, yes?
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Looks like you're going to have quite a bit of dirt work to do in front of the garage to get a driveway in, yes?

Driveway is already poured. We have to have two steel beams and we had to dig up and repour a better foundation for those beams/columns.
Guitarsoup
AG
Steel beams are here.

Beam+two columns supporting = 2700lbs.

Builder93
AG
I was going to mention using steel because I did a project like this for an architect years ago. The garage began to rack a while later because of the added weight. I had second guessed it during construction but the architect was sure of his design.

You shouldn't have that problem.
Guitarsoup
AG
The steel is going to be in the front of the garage on the overhang. Very front of the porch and the front edge of the structure. So where the dumb waiter is and eight feet in front of that. Next week the siding comes off and we will reinforce the existing studs.
The Fife
Very jealous, I wish we could use steel beams with our project!
Guitarsoup
AG
Garage bathroom ideas?

88jrt06
AG
Like your toothbrush built-ins around the rim!
Wow, growing fam.
Guitarsoup
AG
Both beams installed and now the framers are getting busy.

Looks like I have some tree trimming to do.

The back wall of the second story is five feet in front of the the back wall of the first story because Centerpoint has an aerial easement over the back few feet of my property, even though there is not a freaking power line.

But, the good thing is that gives us more covered parking.
bco2003
AG
Looking good, thanks for sharing the progress. I'm really interested in this project.

Interesting scaffolding they crafted there!
Guitarsoup
AG
I was gone most of the day getting various things fixed on my wife's car, but they got a lot of progress done despite not having me there for guidance.

Entire main structure is framed. You can see the openings for the dual french doors on the front.

From the front door looking towards the bathroom corner, you can see why we decided to do an addition rather than move. Greenbelt behind us, no neighbors. There is a jogging track there. But no one will ever be behind us or on one side of us.

My house on the left, only neighbor we have on the right. Very sweet cat lady and her husband live there. Two or three dozen cats? No one knows. Could be more. But she is always home and is very nice. The windows on the left with the solar screens are my home office. I'm waving to you right now. HI!

Corps_Ag12
AG
And to think OSHA just turns a blind eye to residential construction.

Ok I'm off my soapbox now.
Guitarsoup
AG
You should see those guys move around on that scaffolding. Like they are walking on the ground and they built it in no time at all.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.