Bathroom remodel advice

3,102 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AW 1880
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm starting a remodel of our 1980 bathroom. I've wrecked out the old tub and will be replacing with a 36x60 whirlpool style tub. After that, we will be replacing the vanity and the shower. I've got a few question for the folks that frequent this board:

Any suggestions on places to find good deals / wide selection on things like tubs, vanities, or fixtures?

Thoughts on custom made vanity vs. purchase? Likely going with 72" wide double vanity.

Any lessons learned or general suggestions? I'm planning on doing the work myself (and my dad) but lucky enough to have electrician and plumber friends should I need back up.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Build.com and amazon or wayfair will pretty much have everything you need for fixtures hardware vanities etc.
If it's a square standard size area you can buy an all in one vanity online. But if it's odd shaped you might have to build in place. Don't skimp on shower glass. You can tell.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Also remember your vents. Also a framed mirror and custom sconces look a lot better then the builder grade crap. Cabinet pulls and knobs from Wayfair or amazon. Much much cheaper.
jamesf
AG
If the vanity is built in (surrounded by three walls), I have found it to be difficult to find something pre-built that would work from places like wayfair or build.com. I ended up going to a local cabinet maker and got a semi-custom vanity for one of my bathrooms where I chose the size from their catalog (48" in my case) and got extended stiles on each side of the vanity that custom fit my space. It was more expensive than other options, but it ended up looking really good.
AW 1880
AG
Thanks for the replies so far. I found a great deal on a vanity we like. It is a little shorter than our existing vanity - 69 inches. Luckily we have some flexibility on vanity size, but I'm curious what it's going to cost to have a ~70 inch quartz countertop with double sinks fabricated. I'm curious if the savings on the vanity is going to be cancelled out by the need to get a countertop fabricated. Also, any thoughts on quartz vs other materials. We like the way the granite looks but not sure about durability or other factors.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Level 3 quartz should be about the same as granite.
Plus you get a lot more options as far as look.
The Fife
IKEA is great for bathroom vanities. I've also bought a lot from build.com, including our tub.

Really a lot depends on the overall look you're going for. Mirrors... I'd give your local glass place a try as well, especially if you're going for a clean/modern look with a large slab of glass. They may also work if you want to do the framed thing instead.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Last remodel I did, we bought some frames at hobby lobby for the mirrors. They had a clearance sale going on and had a couple of big frames our builder grade mirrors fit into. I think we got the for about $25 each. Painted them white to match the trim. I mounted the mirrors into the frame with some liquid nails, and a thin piece of wood across the corners. Hung them on the wall with heavy duty framing wire.
AW 1880
AG
We found what we are going to use for a backsplash.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/valentino-white-bardiglio-tulip-polished-marble-mosaic-100463397.html#q=Valentino%2Bwhite&start=8

Any suggestions on how to cut this? I've used a wet saw several times for installing tile, but this is a marble mosaic. Is a wet saw with the appropriate blade still the way to go?
The Fife
AW 1880 said:

Is a wet saw with the appropriate blade still the way to go?
Yep!
AW 1880
AG
I've got a couple more questions (for now).

1. Looking at shower doors/enclosures, my opening appears to be a non-standard size. Is my best bet to buy a set and get it cut to size or go custom route for the entire thing?

2. When tiling a shower, any tips or suggestions? It looks like I'll be using a mastic as opposed to mortar, correct.

3. We are looking at a marble tile for the shower. I've read online about some potential issues using marble in the shower. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
AggieFactor
AG
AW 1880 said:

I've got a couple more questions (for now).

1. Looking at shower doors/enclosures, my opening appears to be a non-standard size. Is my best bet to buy a set and get it cut to size or go custom route for the entire thing?

You will have to go custom. There is no cutting shower doors since they are all tempered glass.

2. When tiling a shower, any tips or suggestions? It looks like I'll be using a mastic as opposed to mortar, correct.

What is you waterproofing layer going to be? I know you cannot using mastic on Kerdi. You also cannot use it on the shower floor as it is not rated for wet areas. Shower walls are considered "intermitent" wet areas which mastic is fine for

3. We are looking at a marble tile for the shower. I've read online about some potential issues using marble in the shower. Any thoughts or suggestions?

There are two issues when it comes to marble tile in the shower and both are easily remedied. First is the marble MUST be sealed before grouting. Doesnt matter whether you get polished or honed marble from the store, seal it again before grouting. Second, is to use a thinset that matches the predominent color of the marble. While the thinset is still drying, you are going to see some discoloration bleed through the tile (the amount depends on how thick the tile is). This will go away once the thinset drys but a dark grey thinset could alter you finished color slightly. I always use white thinset when set marble tile.

Thanks.
AW 1880
AG
I'm having trouble finding before pictures but here is what we've done to date. Demoed vanity, bath, and shower; put up tile backsplash and installed vanity.
Vanity

Tub Alcove - was a large cultured marble tub

Shower

I still need to demo the shower pan. I'm a little worried about my ability to waterproof the shower while simultaneously making the area level enough to put up shower tile.

Regarding budget,originally I thought it would cost me about $3k but that was without much thought put into it. Now, I'm looking at $6-7k in just materials. I think we found a pretty decent deal on the vanity for $1500 including countertop.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Vanity from Costco? Also, what brand are your faucets and where did you get them. Wanting something similar for our remodel.
AW 1880
AG
This vanity but found it at a scratch and dent place.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/James-Martin-Signature-Vanities-Brookfield-72-in-W-Double-Vanity-in-Burnished-Mahogany-with-Marble-Vanity-Top-in-Carrara-White-with-White-Basin-14711457614CAR/300724952

Faucets are Kingston Brass, which we bought on amazon. I was impressed by the sturdy components.
AW 1880
AG
I'm trying to decide on waterproofing for the shower. I found the attached video comparing methods.

Wedi board looks pretty easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.