New Construction: whole home water filtration

1,019 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiez03
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any idea on ballpark cost to add this? Worth it...not worth it? House is in Houston and I don't really have a problem with the water from a shower/washing clothes perspective so would really just be for drinking/ice. Better to just set up a filter in the kitchen?
RK
AG
...and of course I now see a similar topic on the same page. so, ignore...or don't.
BrazosDog02
AG
Water quality is probably OK from the city, but I would invest in a water softener and a big ass canister of carbon to remove all the **** the city puts in the water...like Chlorine.
Micropterus
AG
I recently installed a whole new system on my well, starting at the wellhead. I bought it from Pure Water Products in Denton. Would definitely recommend them, and a 30 min phone call saved me several hundred $$. We started with a water sample to ID the problems, then tackled it from there. All in all, sediment filter, carbon filter plus aeration (sulfur, Cl removal), water softener, brine tank, 2 fleck controllers, resin, and carbon media was about $1700. Water quality improved in less than 24 hrs. Talk to Gene.
Ikanizer
AG
I installed an under the kitchen sink RO filter system in my cabin in Colorado to remove a high arsenic level from our well water. It works great. Water tastes like melted snow. Produces plenty of water for drinking, coffee making, ice cubes etc. https://www.amazon.com/APEC-5-Stage-Reverse-Drinking-Water/dp/B00I0ZGOZM
aggiez03
AG
I would recommend one of these at a minimum.

http://a.co/eD3ixCi

I had the plumber take the incoming water to the garage and put in a loop, which basically is one line coming from the wall which is from water supply, and then the second line from the wall goes to the house.

Like this:

Definitely put a shutoff on the incoming side so you can turn off water if you ever have to change the housing out.

So all the water in the house is filtered. This helps everything and prevents crud in the lines, sediment, scale, calcium, and chlorine. Water heaters, faucets, refrigerator all benefit from less crud in the lines over time.

I got mine at Home Depot 12 years ago. Filters are $12 for two. Change every 2-3 months.

Is it as good as a $1,700 system? No, does it make a difference, absolutely. Water taste better, checked water heater that had been installed for 5 years and no crud in it at all.

Also, I like that it is clear as I can do a visual check when my water company repairs a line and shoots sediment into my filter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.