Dallas - leak detection recommendation

1,724 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txag2008
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
January water bill was over twice my normal January usage (3kgal vs 14kgal).

I've measured 20gal/hr with all fixtures shut off. It's obvious I have a leak on my side of the meter. I can hear an audible running water sound in certain interior walls of the home. Home built in '70, slab foundation. I went throughout the house & yard tonight with a thermal camera and couldn't find any obvious leak signs.

Any recommendations for leak detection companies? I've found Accurate Leak & Line & American Leak Detection but that's only from a quick google search.
sts7049
AG
have you checked all the toilets? do you have a pool?
txag2008
AG
Yes & no.

I've checked everything and come to the conclusion that it has to be a slab leak
jt2hunt
AG
No soft spots in the yard around the house or at the meter?
txag2008
AG
None that I can tell. I realize the sound of leaking water can resonate throughout a pipe, but there's a pretty noticeable sound right in the center of my house (interior walls).
Mission Ranch AG
AG
I used Accu Find Leak Detection nine seven two three nine nine zero zero six one. They found the leak and were able to re-route my water line through my attic and did not have to bust up the slab. Very satisfied with their work.
jt2hunt
AG
I have seen the leak detectors hook up an air hose to the water line and then use a stethoscope type device on the ground to find the air noise to locate the leak.
txag2008
AG
Thanks for the recommendation. Might try to give them a call tomorrow.

I talked with Accurate Leak & Line today (may be able to come by tomorrow). Guy said in most cases they prefer to reroute the line in the wall/attic instead of repairing in the slab. I have mixed feelings about that, but ultimately the location of the leak has a lot to do with which method I would prefer. He did give me a $3k ballpark which I'm sure can vary quite a bit. This sounded a bit high to me especially since I'd still be stuck repairing the cosmetics of the repair (drywall/texture/paint).

Gary79Ag
AG
txag2008 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. Might try to give them a call tomorrow.

I talked with Accurate Leak & Line today (may be able to come by tomorrow). Guy said in most cases they prefer to reroute the line in the wall/attic instead of repairing in the slab. I have mixed feelings about that, but ultimately the location of the leak has a lot to do with which method I would prefer. He did give me a $3k ballpark which I'm sure can vary quite a bit. This sounded a bit high to me especially since I'd still be stuck repairing the cosmetics of the repair (drywall/texture/paint).

I would definitely get multiple bids as $3K sounds way out of line if they're only rerouting 1 water line and not busting slab and not doing wall patchwork repairs, etc.
jt2hunt
AG
update?
txag2008
AG
Had a guy come by and he confirmed that there was indeed a slab leak. He used a listening probe and he thinks it's in the water heater-bathroom-W/D area just like I was hearing.

I did get a quote from another company (Accu-Find) for $1700 that I've scheduled for repair/reroute. First available time is Feb 28. For the time being I'm turning off my water when I go to work (and at night if I think about it) at the meter.
txag2008
AG
Update: Is was fixed by relocating the cold & hot water lines from the water heater to the W/D with 3/4" PEX. I got lucky in that both wall penetrations are in inconspicuous spots.

tie ins above water heater

Access in entry closet

Access behind dryer
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.