Painting previously sealed concrete?

843 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking of putting down some concrete ONE part epoxy paint(not the rustoleum or quick Crete garage floor two part epoxy with flakes). I have removed linoleum & I have some old black hardened & dried adhesive. When I drip some water on the concrete it beads up as if the concrete is sealed. Can I use the concrete floor primer on top of this adhesive or will I have to sand the adhesive & concrete surface down before pairing?
Chris98
AG
FYI, there is a good chance that the black mastic is asbestos, especially if the house was built in 60's-70's. Epoxies require a well profiled surface or risks peeling/ failure. If you do remove the black mastic, do it wet or utilize a soy gel mastic remover
will.mcg
AG
Yep I am sure it is asbestos. It's from that time period when asbestos was the best thing ever.
jt2hunt
AG
Bean e doo will remove the black cutback glue.
http://www.jondon.com/bean-e-doo-mastic-remover-3.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAtorUBRBnEiwAfcp_Y36_trsVSIScCFHvd-HwOum6IlsjxkLoDZOze-mRnuY44s3RvAj8bxoCD0kQAvD_BwE
will.mcg
AG
I used a kleen strip brand of adhesive remover & it got most of it off. I am afraid I will have to sand the concrete anyway to remove the sealer which is under the adhesive
GtownRAB
AG
You will need to sand it or grind it down to clean concrete. For floor coatings, surface prep is the most important part of the project. Even a great product will fail if it doesn't have good concrete to grab onto.

Home Depot rents small floor grinders that would probably work for what you are doing. You want the floor to feel about like 150 grit sandpaper for a coating to bond. The paint will need a profile to mechanically bond to. Typically, thin the first coat so it soaks in better, then apply the second coat undiluted. (depends on the products though).

EDIT - go with stronger paint than you think you need. Most of your work will be in cleaning and grinding the floor. Going with much better paint wont cost much more and could double or more the life of the paint.
will.mcg
AG
Yes I have now figured out that I need to mechanically clean the concrete. I am probably going to let it ride & enjoy the bare concrete for a few months or until I get a free Saturday where I can go make a mess over there sanding it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.