Central HVAC question

1,364 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ukbb2003
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I am running the A/C portion of my central HVAC, there is a slight musty odor coming from the vents. However, when I'm running the heater portion, there is no odor. The best I can tell is that the furnace and the evaporator are in line in the unit in the attic. This unit is only 4 years old and the evaporator coil are not accessible. Any ideas on what may be wrong or what I can do to eliminate the odor?
BrazosDog02
AG
A/C always stinks after a while of not using it. Condensation is produced when the AC is running and it wets the inside of the unit and all that dust and crap that's been sitting all winter gets reactivated and wet and you get that smell until it runs for a while. You're heater doesn't do that because you either have strips (which stinks when it burns off the dust from the summer) or you have a heat pump which just runs in reverse and doesn't create condensation to stink.

I know there are things you can put in your air handler to reduce that odor and kill off some stuff a bit, but I've never done it. The smell just kinda goes away after a day or two of running when we get into that time of year.
ukbb2003
It's called dirty sock syndrome. It tends to happen around this time of year when you are constantly switching from heat and cool. The high humidity that we have had doesn't help either. You can spray coil cleaner on the evaporator coil, but the smell will come back. After running it for a couple of weeks in either heat or cool, the smell will usually go away.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.