Clearing an egg shell pipe clog

38,325 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie1
traxter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I've got what I think is mostly egg shells clogging the pipe about 2+ feet into the pipe that leads away from the ktchen sink. Apartment complex guy tried snaking it and it didn't clear it, but egg shells came back up on the snake. Right now it's very slow draining. I think they're goign to charge me for a plumber's visit. But I figure if I can clear it myself, shouldn't be an issue. I was thinking of buying a couple gallons of vinegar and basically letting it hopefully dissolve some of the shells, and then possibly renting a handheld snake from Home Depot and clearing it out with that. Maybe alternating between the two a few times.

Any thoughts?
will.mcg
AG
Surprising to hear a snake didn't clear it. I would try a chemical drain clog remover. Vinegar might work. I remember in freshman biology one day the prof had an egg in some chemical that made the shell desolve & pickled or hard boiled the egg at the same time.
Pro Sandy
AG
Vinegar will dissolve egg shell, but it takes a while
JP76
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Small-Drain-Bladder-82-975-111/301879467
99_Brock_Ag
AG
Agree with the drain bladder above. Had the same thing not too long ago. The bladder easily blew it out...
txag2008
AG
I'd be hesitant to use the bladder. It can easily cause some damage to old pipe/traps or weak joints.
traxter
Well I just bought 2 gallons of vinegar. Took about 1 gallon to fill from the clog up to the drain, and after a few second it has started bubbling up quite a bit and I can hear it trickling/bubbling in the pipe. Based off what I googled, it looks like it's CO2 being released from the calcium carbonate of the egg shells. Hopefully it works. I'll give it till I no longer hear bubbling then keep adding a bit more at a time.

Might try the bladder next, although one of the Home Depot reviews said they got it stuck in the pipe. Would feel safer trying a snake.
BrazosDog02
AG
If that does work, you can get something at walmart called "The Works". It's hydrochloric acid. I use it for derusting parts for restoring equipment but it'll eat the **** out of egg shell. Still shocked the snake didn't get it.
traxter
So, just an update. I used about 3 gallons of vinegar. I filled it up till it was backing up into the sink and left it from about 3pm until the next morning, topping it off periodically until I went to bed. Occassionally using the gargabe disposal to try and create some force/ agitate things a bit. Interestingly, the vinegar appeared to drain MUCH more slowly than water would. I'm assuming it's because the reaction w/ the calcium created CO2 and kind of vapor locked the system?

Regardless, I flushed it with a pot of boiling water the next morning. Went from backing up after about 30 seconds of the faucet at full blast to about 2 minutes.

Then, a day later I tried bleach. Poured a half gallon down the drain, and a little bit of water to clear it out of the U under the sink. Left it like that for about 8 hours. Flushed it again with boiling water.

It has now gone to taking about 4 minutes to back up. And even then, as soon as I turn off the faucet it clears out pretty quick.

So, not sure if I opened a larger hole in the clog, or there's just another clog further down, but i think this is good enough for now.

I couldn't find "The Works" or any HCl solution at Walmart. Which aisle is it supposed to be in? Wondering if it'll still be useful at this point. Probably wouldn't hurt, but the flow may be too fast past any egg shells for it to really sit and eat away at them.
will.mcg
AG
Sounds like it's fixed. My sink at home starts to fill up after about 30 seconds & I don't have a clog.
Koko Chingo
AG
Could be your drain vent is clogged,. The pipe that vents to the outside via the roof.

This can also sometimes happen where you get an air pocket with the garbage disposal and the fitting where the dishwasher drain hooks up.

That's an easy test. If you burp the garbage disposal on for just a second or two and the water drains normally then nothing to worry about
will.mcg
AG
What's the easy test if you don't have a garbage disposal? We use one of those drain screens, I would guess it's about a 60 mesh.
Koko Chingo
AG
Great question, I do not have the perfect answer. I would ask, "Does your sink drain slowly every single time?"

If drains slowly 100% of the time I would lean toward clog/buildup or vent.

It only happens sometimes when my sink drains slow and I burp the disposal for a quick second and it flows normally.

Another place to check is the p-trap. Unscrew the p-trap and check things out. Use something flexible to poke around.

*** you say no garbage disposal. If this is a bathroom sink then scratch all the above and first step would be to use one of those barbed plastic drain cleaners because its probably hair.*** They sell them everywhere from Walmart to Home Depot, etc for a few dollars

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zip-It-Bath-and-Sink-Hair-Snare-BC00400/100665735

will.mcg
AG
No, it's a kitchen sink. Drains fast enough for us., just not super fast. Probably some food in the P trap. Yes those plastic "fishing tools" work great on hair in bathtubs & bathroom sinks.
lexofer
AG
Quote:

I couldn't find "The Works" or any HCl solution at Walmart. Which aisle is it supposed to be in? Wondering if it'll still be useful at this point. Probably wouldn't hurt, but the flow may be too fast past any egg shells for it to really sit and eat away at them.
Muratic acid sold at hardware or pool supply stores is also hydrochloric acid. I'd dilute it some before I poured it in my pipes.
JAW3336
AG
Who put egg shells down the sink and why?
bam02
AG
We probably put 2 dozen egg shells through the garbage disposal and down the drain every week. Is that a no no?
JAW3336
AG
I don't know? I wouldn't do it, its so easy to hit the trash with them but that is just me.
Gary79Ag
AG
To Do or Not To Do...putting eggshells down the drain...

Can You Put Eggshells Down the Garbage Disposal?
Aggie1
AG
Eggshells in flower beds, gardens, etc., are good for "aeration" of the soil...

The best drain cleaner without using a suction pump or rooter is plain old household baking soda followed up by vinegar - it will clean out most simple slow downs and stop-ups in the bathroom especially. It works well in showers and in kitchen sinks (and toilets) if for no other reason than to clear the foul odors and clean the air.
The same mix as a paste will work wonders on tile grout, cleaning toilets, etc.

To follow, putting lime and lemon rinds through the garbage disposal will clean the cutters and make the entire sink etc., smell better - but be sure to run water at the same time to avoid stop ups and clogs.

Sometimes when sinks slow down - especially after the soda/vinegar routine - filling up the sink to overflow with hot as you can get it water and then pulling the plug will sluice through whatever is holding up the flow issue.

But, often the simplest as noted above is simply unscrew the P trap and poke and clean - you would be amazed at what occurs at the simplest access point - and how much better the drain will function after a little routine maintenance. Sometimes some pipe dope or plumbers tape when reattached is necessary to avoid leaks - and is a simply preventative measure...

https://www.hometalk.com/20125640/s-17-ways-you-never-thought-of-using-baking-soda-in-your-home?se=fol_new-20180224-1&date=20180224&tk=opso0d&slg=67214ef12faac0cf1fe5a2d47abe6f84-24086598&post_position=2

?size=1600x956
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.