gravel driveway

1,782 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rancher1953
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a house on a lake in east Texas and the dirt driveway is washed out (i.e. 2 foot deep rut going down one side of it, etc...). I want to fill in the ruts, get it level, and put gravel on top of it. What's the best material to use for this? Should I fill it in with regular fill dirt, or would red clay be better? What's the best gravel to go on top?
BrazosDog02
AG
Personally, you might want to check out the drainage situation. Is this a rut that happened after one rain or 10 years of rain? It's always been my experience that both need to kinda go hand in hand. If they CAN'T go hand in hand (as in, you can't fix the drainage), then you have to make your fix super beefy. It really depends on the erosion rates....maybe you could get away with dirt and pea gravel, but clay and river rock/aggregate may be a better long term solution....

Also, see what's even available around you and the cost for materials.
agnerd
AG
What Brazos said. If you have water flowing across the road, anything but concrete will get washed away. Get the water flowing parallel to the road or add a culvert underneath it. Most gravel roads take whatever dirt came from the ditch next to the road, and throw some gravel on top.
rancher1953
Having several miles of dirt roads at my location. I can tell you from experience and mistakes the best way to fix the problem. First as mentioned get the drainage problem fixed as stated. Then put good clay or limestone base down followed by a rock topping like coal slag, crushed concrete, milled asphalt or rock screenings. Make sure your road also is crowned so water runs off to the sides.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.