Deciding whether or not to cut a yard tree down

2,029 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Matsui
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been trying to decide whether or not to cut a tree down in my yard and looking for some advice. My home and the trees (all live oaks) are about 25 years old. I have two street trees, one yard tree in front (the one on the chopping block), and a smaller tree further back near my detached garage. Google street view below for reference.

Primary motivation in doing so is my yard is a wreck. Lawn is looking worse each year, and any fresh sod I put down is completely dead within a month. I have two pretty significant patches of dirt in my front yard (not indicated in the photo)...surprised my HOA hasn't complained yet. My shrubs/beds are also in rough shape. A lot of this is just from poor care, but I don't want to invest in landscaping thinking nothing has a chance of surviving given the lack of sunlight. Secondary motivation is I can see the roots from this tree getting bigger and think it's a threat to my foundation.

Cons for cutting down
-I like trees - seems shameful to cut down a healthy live oak.
-Process of getting permission from the HOA looks like a pain
-I am guessing it'll be expensive using a pro
-It may be providing some energy efficiency to my home.
-the two street trees (around the same size) may soon be so big that cutting this one tree down may not make an impact.

thoughts? Thanks

Long Live Sully
AG
I would landscape with shade tolerant grass / cover and hardscape.

I wouldn't cut down a good live oak.
Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
RockofAges
no
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I wouldn't cut a tree. Adapt landscape, add mulch beds to cover dirt.

Edited to add: it would save you money on the water bil, also I would consider trimming those bushes (bixwoods or holly) that are blocking windows. Get some shorter shrubs to replace. Just a personal preference in that I find it odd to open a window and just see a bush instead of the front view.
Fairview
AG
sellthefarm
AG
I say cut it down. That's not enough yard for three live oaks. Cut it down now before it gets to big.
SJEAg
AG
Dang it, wanted a consensus.

Think I am leaning towards keeping it for now and just hiring a really pro landscaper to completely redesign my yard to account for it. My neighbor cut his similar tree down, and his house just looks sort of naked now even with the street trees. Maybe I'll move before it becomes a real headache...plan to within the next 3-5 years.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If you plan to move, don't cut. Just adapt your landscaping.
oldag00
AG
SJEAg said:

Dang it, wanted a consensus.
Am I missing your sarcasm? You got a landslide consensus to not cut it down.
SJEAg
AG
Sorry, misspoke...I meant a unanimous one.

But it was certainly good enough for me to lean towards not touching it...at least until I talk to a few landscapers.

Satellite of Love
Depending on what city you live in, those oaks in between the sidewalk and street belong to the city in their row. You would need their permission as well as the HOA. But I say keep them.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
SJEAg
AG
Yeah think those are off limits for the most part, one under consideration is between sidewalk and house.
Tecolote
AG
There's another thread of someone looking for live oaks which are more mature. Have you looked into having someone move one of the trees?
sellthefarm
AG
You should seriously cut it down now so the other two trees can reach their full potential. In ten years you'll be trimming their limbs to keep them off your roof.
oldag00
AG
Except he stated he plans to move in the next 3-5 years.
PlanoAg98
AG
I had the same problem in my yard. My front yard was dirt. I cut it down. Now I have a lush SA yard.
Satellite of Love
SJEAg said:

Yeah think those are off limits for the most part, one under consideration is between sidewalk and house.
I understand now. I still say keep it.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
62strat
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

There's another thread of someone looking for live oaks which are more mature. Have you looked into having someone move one of the trees?
Yeh, let me just go grab a shovel.

It's a shame/fail that the developer planted two live oaks like 15' from each other. I know they look like twigs when they are planted, but surely they know these things grow?

Your tree lawn should only have 1 tree per 35' min for a large shade tree.

Sorry, that doesn't help your situation. I'd keep your yard tree, but maybe contact the city about why you have two trees in the tree lawn 15' from each other. That left one should go.
Tecolote
AG
62strat said:

Och26-58-87 said:

It's a shame/fail that the developer planted two live oaks like 15' from each other. I know they look like twigs when they are planted, but surely they know these things grow?

Sorry, that doesn't help your situation. I'd keep your yard tree, but maybe contact the city about why you have two trees in the tree lawn 15' from each other. That left one should go.

No shovel needed. I've worked with guys who have moved trees a lot larger than those. It's not cheap but it can be done.
JSKolache
AG
change to shade tolerant lawn
SJEAg
AG
I thought St. Aug was relatively shade tolerant. Not sure how much choice in grass the HOA allows...was thinking of maybe just expanding my beds and putting some tolerant ground cover of some kind in them.
Martin Cash
AG
sellthefarm said:

I say cut it down. That's not enough yard for three live oaks. Cut it down now before it gets to big.
This.

Makes good firewood.
62strat
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

62strat said:

Och26-58-87 said:

No shovel needed. I've worked with guys who have moved trees a lot larger than those. It's not cheap but it can be done.
Where they within a few feet of a paved road?
Matsui
AG
cut down the one closest to your house. way too many trees there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.