Concrete Road Repair Recommendations?

1,459 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agcivengineer
texranger66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in a small neighborhood (about 20 homes) that has concrete roads, approximately 10" thick, and they are beginning to have some wear and tear show on them. The area of concern is near the expansion joints, there are pieces starting to break off and divots forming in the concrete. Although small, 2-4" in diameter up to 1" deep, we are looking at was solutions there are to mitigate the issue.

Other that fully cutting out sections of the road for a full repair does anyone have any less costly recommendations for patching these areas? What products (epoxy grout, overlays, etc) have people used for a repair like this?
CEPhD
AG
Got a photo, by chance?
CEPhD
AG
Not trying to be a twerp. This could be one of several problems.
texranger66
AG
I'll try to get a photo posted this weekend.
sellthefarm
AG
Photos would help but cheapest option that is actually worth pursuing is probably to cut out and replace full depth in large enough pieces to hold themselves together. Maybe 5 x 5 or so. They need dowels into the existing concrete. I highly doubt it is 10" thick btw.
CEPhD
AG
Agree. 10" is approaching highway thickness.
AnchorFoundation
Mud jacking and/or polyurethane foam raising are also great options. Usually the price of removal and replacement with just a few hours down time vs. days.
sellthefarm
AG
I think his issues are surface wear not settlement
texranger66
AG
This is wear on the concrete roads. Settlement isn't an issue yet. The chips or wear are 1-2" deep and 3-6" in diameter. Most are next to the expansion joints, while a few are in the middle of the road sections. Looking to see what products have been used to patch or cap these areas instead of cutting out the concrete.

AnchorFoundation
Sorry, I should've read twice before posting...

We've had great success with Flexkrete. Just be advised it sets up much quicker than a regular concrete patch so practice on small areas before moving up.

http://flexkrete.com
CEPhD
AG
So, I forgot that Rookies can't post pics, but I agree that the high strength, rapid set patching products are a good fit for what this sounds like. Like painting, preparation is key for good bond. Wire brush and compressed air works well.
agcivengineer
AG
You have what we call a "joint spall". Google "concrete pavement technology center" website and search for their document on partial depth repairs. This document is a pretty good summary of what to do. There is no need to completely remove the full depth of pavement. I would recommend using a product with a polymer in it. Be careful when mixing to not let the heavier rock to settle. If it is not very deep, you can just mix with sand and nothing bigger. You will want to ensure the joint is maintained, so you can use cardboard for that. If you cant find the document, send me a DM and ill send it to your email.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.