Shower cement board/tiling question

1,995 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txag2008
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am (finally) in gear on a shower remodel and I am curious if it would be acceptable to have the backer board and dry wall joint in between studs.

I plan to do cement backer board in the shower itself and it will extend outside of the shower on both walls because some drywall was damaged during demo. I plan to extend the tile beyond the glass to cover the joints. It would save me having to tear out more drywall to get to the next stud if I could have them meet in between. Since I plan to cover the seams with tile would this be okay or is it an absolute no no.

Thanks!

I could try to post a pic if the above is unclear.
Martin Q. Blank
Can you add a stud where the joint will be?
Aggietaco
AG
Add a stud/blocking like Martin asked. Otherwise you'll be in danger of popping the tile.
bam02
AG
Wow I can't believe I asked now.

I can definitely do that. Thanks, y'all!
Gary79Ag
AG
Or if you can't install a stud between the 2 adjacent studs due too electrical and/or plumbing, remove the sheetrock to the edge of the next available stud and scab on a 2x2 or 2x3 to the stud and then attach the cement board to the scabbed wood so the sheetrock and cement boards are securely attached to the wooden structure.
The Fife
Yup, no shortcuts with the stuff that goes behind the tile. It'll only come back to bite you.
bam02
AG
Thanks again. I looked at it and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to add studs where I need to.
19Aggie88
AG
Always use studs at joints. Best waterproof system for showers is Kerdi/ Kerdi drain by the way. YouTube the videos.
bam02
AG
Thanks. I actually ordered the kerdi system and drain just last night. Looks like a great system.
Kenneth_2003
AG
everything above...

Redguard!!! Redguard!!! Redguard!!! Do i need to say it again? Tape the joints with mesh tape and give them three or four coats and at least two coats erywhere else. Inspect it closely and recoat any pin holes. Coat the floor as well between the kerdi pan and tile base layers.
bam02
AG
My kerdi kit is arriving today. I think it contains enough of their waterproof barrier material to do the shower, but I will need to redguard the tub decking.
bam02
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

everything above...

Redguard!!! Redguard!!! Redguard!!! Do i need to say it again? Tape the joints with mesh tape and give them three or four coats and at least two coats erywhere else. Inspect it closely and recoat any pin holes. Coat the floor as well between the kerdi pan and tile base layers.
Kenneth,
Are you suggesting to use RedGuard over the kerdi material where the wall meets the pan?
txag2008
AG
The use of redguard is eliminated if you're going the Kerdi route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.