Backsplash Removal

1,566 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HalifaxAg
TexDill15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife is wanting to replace the backsplash in our home we have recently purchased. The tile appears to be the 1 x 1 inch glass tile. Anyone have any recommendations and how ugly this little project can get? I'm afraid if we start and screw up the drywall behind I might be biting off a little more than I can chew.. First time home owner and would be my first real home improvement project on my own.
CapCity12thMan
AG
you are gonna replace the drywall anyway, I would assume. I dont believe you can take off the tile and mortar and then re-use the drywall
Aggietaco
AG
Depends on how crappy the install was. But yes, typically you are going to cut out that section and replace.
Long Live Sully
AG
Not a big deal.

Pop the tile off. If it tears the sheetrock in places you can float that out with sheetrock mud. If the damage is too much just cut it all out with a razor knife and replace with new sheetrock as needed. No need for any tape or mud.

Watch videos on laying and grouting tile.

Take your tile and layout the design figuring out where cuts will be.

Get a trowel, thin set, spacers and a tile saw and go to town.

Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Agree with above. Pop and float with mud or cut small sections as needed. No need to get fancy as tile and grout will cover it all
Up.

And if you have deco tiles with ridges or anything g that the grout can get into, get a soft wire tooth brush to clean out.

I made this mistake and just sponge cleaned a section of tile on my first DIY. It's a lot easier to brush out when you wipe down than go back a couple days later and really scrub off.
TexDill15
AG
Thanks for the responses. I think it will be a good introduction to home improvement since she has her eye on a master bath remodel.
coolerguy12
AG
An oscillating saw makes drywall removal a breeze. You will likely replace most of the drywall but it's super easy since it gets covered up. Your cuts don't have to look nice at all.

We just did backsplash a few months ago and were really surprised at how easy it was. A good tile saw helps
cevans_40
AG
For 1x1 mosaic tile, I would just cut through the drywall with a utility knife right along the edge of the tile and try to remove drywall and tile all together. This will make clean up much easier. Then just replace drywall and tile over it. Should be a fairly straightforward project. Good luck.
triggerhappy
AG
Take the existing tile and drywall off together. Cut around all the edges and you should be able to pull off large segments. Spend a few extra bucks to do it right and install hardiebacker as a substrate for your tile. That drywall ever gets wet and you run the risk of tile coming off. You'll waste a lot of time trying to get the drywall clean of tile for reuse anyway.
HalifaxAg
AG
easy there, huge step from a back splash to a full master bath remodel.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.