Window repair

1,410 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by texagpilot
texagpilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Jeldwen window that has several fogged panes of low E insulated glass that need to be replaced. Who'll do y'all recommend in the west Houston or Houston area?

texagpilot
AG
Anyone recommend a window repair co?
cap-n-jack
You have a seal failure. There should be a tag on the upper sash or frame. Take a picture of it and send it to the people that put the windows in. Jeldwen should replace the igu. Labor probably not though.
Email me at jpf@saberexteriors.com if you need more info.
cap-n-jack
No idea how the sad face got on there.
texagpilot
AG
These windows were installed about 12 years ago way before I bought the house, no idea who installed them. These two windows don't open, are fixed. You talking about the etched label on the glass itself?
Ikanizer
AG
I bought a house with the same brand of windows and a few of them were fogged. I contacted the manufacturer and was told that the windows have a lifetime (parts and labor) warranty for the original owner and 10 year warranty (from installation date) for subsequent owners. They are replacing all the fogged panes.

Edit: I found a sticker on the inside frame at the top of each window.
texagpilot
AG
Sent pics and serial #s to Jeld Wen. They are sending me 2 new windows to replace, still under warranty. Thanks!
LeftyAg89
AG
Hey Texagpilot,
What kind of warranty does Jeld Wen have?

I am in the same boat. We just put our house on the market and have decided to fix our windows... same thing, broken seals and fogging up inside. About 5 windows (10 sheets of glass). First we got quotes to replace the whole window (frame/glass) and that was about $4200. Then got a quote from a company to just replace the glass... that was about $2200.

What a bunch of crap these windows are, we bought the house new 15 years ago. Started noticing the fogging after about 12 years or so. Several of the window companies I spoke with said the same thing "these gas-sealed double-pane windows are a good concept and work well up north, but cannot handle the heat/humidity down here."

I can't find any manufacturer info on any of the windows. May have to call Plantation Home and see who they used for windows back in 2002 in the Houston-area... though I'm sure I am well past warranty.
texagpilot
AG
I have the solid wood windows, 20 yr warranty. Only labels I could find were etched into the glass in the corners. Very hard to read.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.