Welding Problem

1,878 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by lb3
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Hobart 130 wire welder. I am pretty handy with it.

I am in the middle of a big project and all of a sudden my welds are starting to look bad. I am using flux core wire. The welds are finished looking shiny instead of having the gas residue from the flux core and some of them have some what I would call bubbling in parts. Looks like the flux is not doing its job.

I first thought I got some bad wire but after changing same results.

Thoughts?
lb3
AG
Madman
AG
I didn't know that would affect the weld much. It has been in the 40s in my shop.
lb3
AG
Madman
AG
No it sounds different. More aggressive frying of bacon maybe.
Madman
AG

All the welds seem very strong. But are also very ugly. I couldn't break the ones I tested.
lb3
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
To much current. If it bubbles and spatters you're too hot. Lower the current and slow down a bit dragging your pool. I use a lot of half moons/tiny zig zags in my wire feed and stick welds. Keeps me slow and focused on the weld pool and dragging it where it needs to be.

Spatter and bubbles are classic symptoms of too much current and also you might not be close enough to the workpiece because your feed rate is a bit too high.

Did some youtube searches. Welders seem to LOVE to show off their abilities. Lots of good tutorial videos.
WheelinAg
AG
Madman where are you located?

Looks like you're welding a decent amount, get a gas setup!
Madman
AG
Houston
will.mcg
AG
I concur with the "too hot" diagnosis causing bubbles. I also second the vote to go to a gas set up. I have a similar machine to yours BUT it has the option to run shield gas with solid core wire or the flux core wire without gas like you have. I will tell you that the solid core wire with shield gas gives much prettier welds than the flux core wire. Maybe you could help finance a new machine by selling your existing on Craigslist. I have a friend who bought the new line of Harbor Freight machine & is happy with it. I will say that he hasn't had it long enough for me to be convinced of its durability.
Foamcows
AG
you can add gas to the hobart 130.
will.mcg
AG
It appears you are corrcet.

Madman: go get you some 75/25 argonCo mix gas from your local gas supply (Praxair has good prices on small bottles) & some solid core wire.
schmellba99
AG
I'd lean towards too much heat/current as well, but also want to remind you to make sure you clean the mill scale and oil/grime off before welding as well. A lot of impurities in both, and if you get some stock that has excess of either, you'll get porosity. The frying of bacon is indicative of oil in the weld puddle from this as well, though not as likely as the heat/current probability.
lb3
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.