Help diagnosing home central heater problem

1,221 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Red Fishing Ag93
Red Fishing Ag93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our WeatherMaker 8000TS is finicky on when it starts up and heats the house. I'm not sure whether to start with it or the thermostat. Thermostat is a general looking Honeywell.

75% of the time when the digital temp drops to below the thermostat setting, the WeatherMaker kicks on just fine. But about 25% of the time it does not.

The thermostat appears fine. If set at 73, and temp on it drops to 72, it makes a click sound and the 'ON' letters appear for heat. It consistently does this as normal. But the WM most of the time follows and turns on, and some of the time it does nothing. It's not until some time hours afterward does it finally kick on and heat the house.

It never gets to about more than 5 or 6 degrees below the setting temp before turning on.

I'm not sure where to start. I am pretty decent at DIY and would like to fix this myself.
akaggie05
AG
Thermostat is most likely doing what it's supposed to. I'd start by cleaning the flame sensor rod in the furnace and looking at the ignitor to make sure it's not cracked.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Thanks. I'll check those out.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
I am trying to clean the flame sensor rod next.

The electronic igniter looks good. It was replaced a year ago.

When I hold down the manual black switch to run the heater up through its cycle as long as I hold the switch it cylces and starts heating, no problem.

The red LED light does blink and stay on some while it is cycling and heating.
JP76
Red Fishing Ag93 said:

I am trying to clean the flame sensor rod next.

The electronic igniter looks good. It was replaced a year ago.

When I hold down the manual black switch to run the heater up through its cycle as long as I hold the switch it cylces and starts heating, no problem.

The red LED light does blink and stay on some while it is cycling and heating.

The Led will flash a code if there is an problem

The codes are in the 6th post on this thread below

http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/carrier-8000ts-weathermaker-154976/#/topics/154976

Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Derned thing hasn't misbehaved at all this past week.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
It acted up again. I finally learned how to clean the flame sensor rod with fine steel wool, and how the heater goes thru a startup cycle. I have this fixed I believe. Heater wasn't recognizing that the flames had ignited so it would shut the gas off and led codes were logged. The dirty flame sensor was the culprit. I learned it should be cleaned a little more often than once a decade.

Great tips here, thank y'all. I enjoy learning these DIYs and saving a little.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.