Hot Water Recirculating Pump

1,814 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
DuncanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have an older home that has been remodeled multiple times. An issue we are having is with our mud room sink (where are washing machine is as well) is it takes up to 3 minutes to get hot water out of the tap. I know there are recirculating pump solutions but curious if anyone has done this with a tankless (what we have)?
jtp01
AG
We have one of the recirculating pumps. Having never owned one in the past, they are freaking awesome. No waiting for the shower to warm up.

A tankless is one of those things I haven't jumped on yet simply because we have propane fired water heaters and they do a great job for us.
LostInLA07
AG
Our tankless has a built in recirculating pump...may want to check if yours does as well.
Absolute
AG
If the tankless doesn't have some sort of recirculation built in, you would have to get a little tank to recirculate out of.
dallasiteinsa02
If it is just one location, you can put in a 6 gallon water heater under the sink. It will give you hot water until, the water heater catches up.
DuncanAg
AG
Thanks for the responses guys...our tankless does not have a re-circ tank like the newer ones do. As far as location it's really 2 (mud room and kitchen - which are on the same side of the house).
toolshed
AG
Grundfos pump

This is what I've installed in the past for a couple customers. The plastic part is a thermostatic ca love that goes under the farthest sink from the water heater. The pump goes on top of the water heater. You'll need a plug at the water heater to run it. It has a timer so you can set it to run only early morning and evening when you are home vs all day to extend the pump life. So far they've worked well. The customer was waiting five minutes for water sometimes when it was really cold outside. Overcoming heat loss over the distance was an issue for them.
Absolute
AG
toolshed said:

Grundfos pump

This is what I've installed in the past for a couple customers. The plastic part is a thermostatic ca love that goes under the farthest sink from the water heater. The pump goes on top of the water heater. You'll need a plug at the water heater to run it. It has a timer so you can set it to run only early morning and evening when you are home vs all day to extend the pump life. So far they've worked well. The customer was waiting five minutes for water sometimes when it was really cold outside. Overcoming heat loss over the distance was an issue for them.
I have this one. Pretty happy with it, though it is not as fast as a true recirc system. Cut time to my kitchen from 3 minutes to 20 seconds or so.

Sounds like a little tank somewhere in the kitchen may be your easiest choice.
VAXMaster
AG
We have a tankless heater and a separate recirc pump with no recirc tank. The only downside I have noticed is that instead of waiting for hot water, we have to wait for cold water.
JSKolache
AG
Section327Ag said:

We have a tankless heater and a separate recirc pump with no recirc tank. The only downside I have noticed is that instead of waiting for hot water, we have to wait for cold water.
This is my dream
62strat
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

If it is just one location, you can put in a 6 gallon water heater under the sink. It will give you hot water until, the water heater catches up.
Don't bother with a tank, they make tankless point of use water heaters, for under the counter. $100-$200.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.