Air Conditioning Duct Sweating

752 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by lexofer
Olag00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I looked up in our kitchen and there is an area at ceiling and wall swollen and probably filled with water. Initially I was thinking a roof leak since there is not a water source in that location. I went up to investigate and it is my air conditioning duct. It is sweating badly and water almost pours out.

I have air conditioning duct tape (the silver kind not the gray duct tape) and was curious if I could just wrap the duct with it to fix the problem? I have tried googling for about 2 mins and didn't really find anything concrete if that would fix it. They were saying it is a humidity issue which being in Houston is an issue.

I don't want to use the tape if it just traps the water and causes issues later. The other thing is possibly changing the air temp inside to a warmer temperature.

Anyone have experience with this without involving air conditioning company? The house was built in 2015 so everything is all relatively new.
Olag00
AG
Posting from the attic...It appears there isn't a splice at this location like I had thought. It was just compressed together like an according and I think that is the issue. I'm flexing the duct out to make it not sag and eliminate the duct compressing on itself to see if that mitigates the issue.
EMY92
AG
Olag00 said:

Posting from the attic...It appears there isn't a splice at this location like I had thought. It was just compressed together like an according and I think that is the issue. I'm flexing the duct out to make it not sag and eliminate the duct compressing on itself to see if that mitigates the issue.
Flex duct should be stretched out, it should not be "compressed". That interferes with airflow.

You can connect the same size flex with a higher R-value there, that should fix the problem.
lexofer
AG
Assuming you're talking about flex duct there should be an inner thin plastic and spiral wire duct, in the middle insulation, and an outer vapor barrier, usually shiny. If the duct is sweating then the insulation isn't covering the inner duct. You need to pull the insulation together so that there are no gaps, then pull the vapor barrier together and tape it with the shiny duct tape.

edit: Read your second post, yes try stretching it out so there aren't any kinks or dips. You can get some nylon web strapping to attach it to the roof so it doesn't sag, make sure you don't kink it. If there is excess duct you can cut out a section. Rejoin the inner duct together with duct tape, pull the insulation together, then rejoin the vapor barrier with shiny duct tape.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.