Recessed Cans flashing

1,054 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by beachfront71
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have 5 recessed cans that have two switches that operate them from opposite sides of the room. One has a dimmer. The other is part of a 3 switch plate, of which, a switch right next to it (middle one) controls the light over the kitchen table, also on a dimmer.

Two of the 5 recessed cans I changed to LED, as well as a different color of light as a way to change up the look of the kitchen. That was about two months ago.

This morning, I came downstairs, turned on the 5 recessed cans just fine. Went to turn on the light over kitchen table and when I did, the 5 cans (the ones on a completely different switch, mind you) started flashing, almost strobe-like. If I dim down the kitchen table light, they stop. Dim is back up they start flashing again. I notice when I dim down the kitchen light there is a slight buzz/hum from that switch. The third switch on that 3-switch plate has no effect as seems operational as normal.

What might be going on here? Sounds like possibly just a bad switch on the kitchen table light w/dimmer but why would it affect lights on a completely different switch? Also, is it just coincidence this occurred after the LED bulb installation, or is it related?
CapCity12thMan
AG
Hopefully someone responds before my house burns down...?
beachfront71
AG

Your best bet might be to confirm where all the wires are going and if any are shared by accident.. also, not all LEDs are dimmable...

You could sketch out the wiring and post it here and someone will give more detail..
The Fife
beachfront71 said:

Your best bet might be to confirm where all the wires are going and if any are shared by accident.. also, not all LEDs are dimmable...

You could sketch out the wiring and post it here and someone will give more detail..
This. Also you could try swapping the LEDs out with incandescent bulbs as a test to see if there's any weirdness going on.
JT05
AG
I have had this problem with my living room canned lights that are on a dimmer and I recently switched to LED bulbs. I am curious as well. I'm contemplating just going back to regular bulbs for the short term while I figure this out. Incredibly annoying
Martin Q. Blank
Is the dimmer rated for LEDs?
mneisch
AG
As mentioned, not all LEDs are dimmable, and not all dimmers are compatible with LEDs. Check both of those before anything else. I'd suspect the dimmer.
Long Live Sully
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Hopefully someone responds before my house burns down...?
And turn them off before your house catches fire.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I replaced the LEDs with regular bulbs I have always used and still see the problem. I am guessing the LEDs must have fried the dimmer/switch because when I lower the dimmer, it buzzes/hums and doesn't sound good.

What I don't understand is - the switch that is humming is the switch to the light over the table. The flashing cans are on a different switch, but the two are physically next to each other in the same 3-switch plate.
beachfront71
AG

Go spend the 40 bucks and replace all the dimmers .. worst case you can take them back to HD if it doesn't solve the problem..I'm not sure anyone can accurately answer your question w/out seeing the issue..
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.