Building shelves - need tips on staining?

1,303 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spaceman
spaceman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello,
Done some woodworking here, but pretty new to staining. Got a question for you folks with some experience. I am building a set of shelves using 3/4" thickness oak, and I need to stain all the exposed surfaces with dark walnut. For a given shelf, how do I stain the top, bottom AND front edge?
I assume you have to stain one surface at a time and let it dry before moving on, otherwise it will drip. But even in that case, how do I prevent accidental dripping down the surfaces I am not working on? (The front edge will be the greatest concern since that's the most visible.) Also, is it advantageous to paint the surfaces in a particular order? Some shelves are above eye level, some below.

Thanks in advance.
agnerd
AG
I put a pair of carpet tack strips down with the little nails pointing up, stain the bottom of the shelf, put the shelf onto the tack strips wet-side-down, and then stain the other 5 sides. Wipe off the excess with a cloth and you won't have any drips.

If you add a finish, do the same thing with the clear coat but use light enough coats to not have drips. After it's dry, take some steel wool to the shelf bottom if the tiny nail tip indentations will bother you.
will.mcg
AG
Main thing is to not apply so much at a time that you have drips and runs.
Koko Chingo
AG
You can also find "Painters Pyramids" at any hardware store. They are plastic pyramids that hold things up so you can paint/stain them. I first used them when painting chairs years ago. I put one under each leg

Aggietaco
AG
DIY version is to just hammer some nails through a 2x or 1x and lay it pointy side up.

Don't be like me and step on one though, especially if you use screws instead of nails.
spaceman
AG
Thanks to all so far for your comments. I guess my main concern is, when I paint the top surface of a shelf for example, how do I stop stain from dripping down the front edge? Even if I wipe off the excess, isn't it too late? Once it drips down the front it will stain it immediately, right?
Do the surfaces I stain need to be laying flat to avoid running, or can I prop it up vertically to stain? If so that will help.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.
HeightsAg
Stain isn't like paint - the wood will only absorb a limited amount of stain no matter how much you apply and the rest needs to be wiped off. For your shelves, sand down all surfaces with a medium/fine grit sandpaper to open the pores and then apply a thin layer to the top and edge. After 10 to 15 minutes, wipe down the stain with a rag repeatedly until no more stain is coming off the wood. If the color isn't dark enough, do another coat. Then flip the shelf off and do the same on the bottom side. If you have runs, just brush it as uniform as possible or wipe it off.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
A few tips...

1. When you stain the furniture work top to bottom. That way if it runs or drips you will not miss it. This works for top coats as well.

2. Since you are new to this, use a gel stain. They make it easier to get consistent color when you are starting.

3. Oak has open pores. If you want a smoother finish use woodgrain filler as part of your finishing.

4. Focus on getting a consistent color. You can apply a second coat to darken it.

5. Try your process on a scrap.

6. If agrams shows up on this thread...listen to him.
spaceman
AG
Thanks all, for the tips
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.