Converting Gas fireplace to wood

1,459 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bonfire1996
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We currently have a gas fireplace with the ceramic logs. Tried to use it for the first time in like 5 years today and the starter doesn't seem to work (can hear gas, but can't seem to get it to ignite). Anyway, got me thinking that I never really liked it in the first place. Always had a very audible hiss and the fire never looked particularly natural (can see a gas flame line underneath the logs). Since we don't use it much, figured when we did it would be nice to have a real fire.

Is it possible or advisable to do this? Would hire a pro. Fireplace is original to the house built in 1992 and is vented with a normal chimney. The firebox looks all concrete and the hearth is brick. Has a damper. I am no expert obviously, but it looks like what a wood burning fireplace would look like except for the gas parts. Could a fireplace company convert it or would it involve some major reconstruction?

Or if it's not feasible, what can be done about the audible hiss/poor flame issue? Never really see this problem at other homes (always seem completely silent), is it hard/expensive for a pro to swap the parts out with better ones?
GBMont3
AG
Did this last year along with some other chimney repairs. Have had no issues. Left gas line in place and use a starter now. Can't tell you cost as ours had other repairs rolled in but I bet it'd be <$500.
OnlyForNow
AG
Do you it yourself or hire out?

If so who's you use and what area are you in?
Bonfire1996
AG
Where are you located?
Bonfire1996
AG
Call perfection wholesale. You should be able to do this very easily. What you have is a wood burner that was converted to gas logs. It can easily go back.

I work at a fireplace company in dallas
OnlyForNow
AG
I wish you lived/worked in Houston.
Bonfire1996
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I wish you lived/worked in Houston.
Perfection is great at what they do. They are peers to us in Dallas. They have a fantastic service team.
OnlyForNow
AG
Thank you for the recommendation.
K_P
AG
Not to hijack the thread, but how much do you think it would cost to add a wood burning fire place to a house with no fireplace at all?
Bonfire1996
AG
Depending on finish out materials, between $5,000 and $7,000.

There would be a lot to it. Lots of framing, roof and sub floor penetrations, changes to attic and it's insulation.
BigNastyNate
AG
Double hijack attempt here...

How much to convert gas to wood burning? Currently have gas insert without a real chimney.

Also, how much to build an outdoor fireplace, assuming concrete is already poured?
Bonfire1996
AG
BigNastyNate said:

Double hijack attempt here...

How much to convert gas to wood burning? Currently have gas insert without a real chimney.

Also, how much to build an outdoor fireplace, assuming concrete is already poured?
Converting wood to gas - you can only do this if the unit was originally a wood burner and was then converted to using a gas log set. If it is a specific gas unit in the first place, you can't go to wood. It is a different type of system, different type of pipe, different type of cap at the top. However, most people don't know what an original wood burning system looks like, and when they see gas logs and a stainless steel pipe going through their attic, they assume it was always a gas fireplace. 99% of the wood burning units installed today have a stainless steel venting pipe and not a real masonry chimney.

The best way to tell is if you have a damper. If you have a damper, then it was originally a wood burner. Gas unit will not have a damper.

For the outdoor fireplace, with concrete already poured, the only costs you are looking at are the framing, unit itself, and the finish out materials. Resist the urge to go with a masonry fireplace as they are more expensive. With pre-fabricated units, you can use wood framing, place the unit inside, and then finish out with nice stone around it and no one will know the difference.

Depending on the size of the space, you can choose a smaller unit, like this....

Outdoor wood burner for smaller spaces

But if you have a big enough space, get a bigger unit that can hold a bigger fire and is much more visually stunning. Like this....

Outdoor wood burner for larger spaces

Total cost for framing and unit for the smaller one will be around $3500 and for the larger one it would be around $5000. The wildcard will be your finish out material, stone finish outs will get expensive having to stone all four sides.
BigNastyNate
AG
Thanks for the quick response... looks like I'll be sticking with gas inside.

Does your company install/build the outdoor units? If so how can I get in touch with you?

What you describe sounds like what I'm looking for outside.
Bonfire1996
AG
BigNastyNate said:

Thanks for the quick response... looks like I'll be sticking with gas inside.

Does your company install/build the outdoor units? If so how can I get in touch with you?

What you describe sounds like what I'm looking for outside.
Unfortunately no, we just provide the prefabricated unit and install it into framing. There are several different subcontractors involved in that process

Framing
Fireplace supply and install - us
Sheet rock
Masonry
BigNastyNate
AG
Do you have a list of preferred subs that you work with? I'm in Prosper.

Would love to get this done!
Bonfire1996
AG
I really wish I could be more help. We are new construction with builders, so we don't even talk with other subs. If you find one, I can make sure you aren't getting ripped off on the cost of the fireplace itself, but that's about the extent of the help I could provide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.