Punchlist Detail Level

1,085 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
MousepadMarauder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

We are in the process of finishing up a custom build. About to start our punchlist. What level of detail is acceptable? We have a couple of light switch boxes that have tiny little openings not covered by the switch plate that drive me crazy. Same thing on a couple of holes drilled in our quartz - not covered by faucet. A tile was not cut right in the shower and there is a visible gap next to the rain head. There are a couple of cabinet doors where there are little gaps showing in the Quaker style mitered corners.

My question is - how far into those types of issues do you go before you just become unreasonable? I recognize that it's construction and there are going to be issues. TIA for any responses.
agdx88
AG
It depends on the type of custom home and the type of builder used. Generally, I would not accept any of that. but if you went with a Walmart builder vs a Nieman Marcus builder you probably got what you paid for.
YellAg2004
AG
Some of those are going to be easy to fix (switch plates not completely covering hole in sheetrock). Others I'm not sure how the hell you fix it at this point (faucet not covering holes in quartz).
Martin Q. Blank
1. get bigger light switch plates
2. center faucet to cover hole in quartz (if I'm reading the problem correctly)
3. get bigger escutcheon plate for shower
will.mcg
AG
Caulk & paint light cover gaps. Depending if you have grout near the quartz (you mentioned a tile not being cut ) there is "grout caulk"
Fleen
None of those would have made it to your (the client) punch list with the home builder I work for, we would have already fixed it.
Blue tape all that stuff, should have already been remedied...

Edit to add: and we are mostly student housing...
BrazosDog02
AG
That's what the punchlist is for. All mentioned in the op are easy fixes and absolutely worth getting fixed.

You bought a custom home...whether it is 350k or 2M, it's your home and if you don't like it, make them fix it. They aren't living there. You are.

But your list is very modest in my opinion. Very standard punch stuff no matter the price point.
The Fife
Yup it's stuff I would have on there but compared to my parents remodel you're doing ok. The list I made for them was things like HVAC vent in the laundry room has no airflow, insulation completely missing in areas over the kitchen, and half the tiles in the dining room have major voids / sound hollow.
CapCity12thMan
AG
per my experience in the construction industry, this is par for the course. Don't pay ANYTHING you are asked at this point until it is done and don't cave in.

Hopefully before I die I will find a contractor doing a job that does it right the first time and doesn't leave stuff like this around.
tgivaughn
AG
I agree with getting what you pay for ... if you're lucky statement above, so if a really good deal, you could attend to all the aesthetic issues DIY and get better results, at least scratch these personal itches.

If you paid top dollar, then you wouldn't be seeing such things unless you were overcharged = everything gets on the punch list, but don't hold your breath ... call backs are very time consuming and costly done only as favors to the Builder that could cut off their groceries.

Once a list is complete and fully encompassing, I think you'll get better results leaving the highly objectionable (that anyone would agree is so) to photos & the builder to solve, as well as anything out of your capacity to do well, then begin trimming this list to what you can do to fix things ... after all, this duty transfers to you pretty quick, called Owner prevention & maintenance. In a nutshell, the fewer items for others to fix, the louder this list is heard & faster solved. IMHO

Perfection is always strived for, seldom reached & never forever.
Name a perfect person not a deity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.