Garage lighting

2,432 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by txag2008
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently have 1 florescent light in my garage...to say it is inadequate to work with is an understatement. I would like to replace it with at minimum 4 led lights to provide better coverage of the entire garage. I have looked on Amazon but don't know what to consider good or bad. The light I currently have it hardwired in to a switch so I would like to keep that
AggieGunslinger
AG
I took my one crappy florecent fixture down, added an extension box and hard wired in 10ft of Chinese made LED lighting. Cost me a total of $45. It is much brighter than the pic makes it look. I intentionally put it where it is so it will light up and engine bay with the hood up

pnut02
AG
Can't help much on the Amazon aspect, but if you're a Costco member, I noticed the latest flyer has single packs of this light for $20 in store.
https://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-4%e2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

I went from a single fluorescent to 6 of those guys and it's basically daylight.
Southpaw 07
AG
Is your garage finished (i.e. does It have sheetrock)? My detached garage is bare studs & open rafters. I purchased new work cans that nail to the rafters and LED floods. A 6-pack of cans in a 2 car garage really lights the place up. If you have sheetrock on the ceiling wiring will be more difficult, but you can use remodel cans that clamp to the sheetrock.

These are the lights I selected at the time:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IGI0048/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZF3gAbPB4HH6M

The cans:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009J6CG8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9J3gAbJVHCHZR
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Cannot recommend Fiet Electric 4ft LED units from Costco enough. I have 6 of them in my garage on a series of outlets that are tied into a motion active switch and my neighbor jokes that my garage looks like an alien ship from the street at night. I just installed two more of the lights in my MIL's garage this weekend in place of her single 60 watt bulb socket. They are linkable and running $27.99/unit at Costco right now.

As for the question regarding a hardwired switch, you should be able to keep that with no problem. It will require you to SHUT OFF THE POWER and then remove the current light to see what you're dealing with in terms of power feeding the unit
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Unfortunately I am not a Costco member and don't know anyone who is.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My garage is completely open frame but the ceiling supports are about 4' apart so I'm not sure cans would work. Havnt ever considered that option though.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I had never thought about installing new work cans with LED inserts in an open frame garage, but that sounds like a great and cheap solution.

OP, assuming your garage has no Sheetrock on the ceiling, installing new work recessed cans is as simple as nailing to the side of the joist so that the bottom of the van is flush with the underside of the joist and then wiring in a series. Buy your LED inserts on amazon, and you're good to go.
Southpaw 07
AG
The cans I posted won't stretch enough to hit rafters at 48" centers. I had a couple of spots with that issue. I added cross members and attached the cans there.
Lobster Twins
AG
Wanted to mention Costco has each of those 4 ft LED shop lights on sale right now for $20 each which is $8 per unit less than normal.

In store, they sell the singles for $20

Online they have 2 packs for $40. Costco Online Shop Lights

I think they are great. I have bought 7 of them.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
can you buy from them online without a membership?
AgLA06
AG
cpsencik04 said:

can you buy from them online without a membership?

I believe you can. They have some online stuff for members only, but I believe it specifically says that if so.
Lobster Twins
AG
Let us know if you are able to buy them online...curious about that as well.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Done! I went with 6, 4 will go on the ceiling and 2 over the work bench (its 10ft long) Im sure ill have to do some jerry rigging to tie them together in the areas i want but I am excited

They charged a 5% surcharge for not being a member...not a big deal for the saving in my book
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I have 6 in my garage. Open frame like yours, with 4 lights across the middle of the garage and two on the sides. You're going to be amazed at the difference.

Ikanizer
AG
My table saw is near the front of the garage. What is your opinion of mounting one or more of those LED shop lights on the inside of the garage door so it illuminates the area under the door when it is open. Do you think the vibration of opening/closing the garage door would cause the light to fail?
txag2008
AG
Vibration won't be an issue for LEDs. The part I'd worry about is running power to them. I imagine it'll be tough securing the cord/wire and making it look decent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.