Fireplace not lighting

1,884 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cablinaggie
iwarnedyou96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We moved into a five year old home this summer. It has a natural gas fireplace with electric ignition controlled by a switch on the wall (no pilot light). A couple of weeks ago we tried to get it to work and it wouldn't light. My wife called a fireplace company and the guy told her to just turn the switch on and off many times to bleed the line. We did that for a couple of days and it magically started working. The remainder of that evening I would go and turn on the switch, and it would light no problem.

Well the next day I turned on the switch, and it did not work and has not worked since. Do I have an issue with the fireplace or is this a house gas issue?
Gary79Ag
AG
iwarnedyou96 said:

We moved into a five year old home this summer. It has a natural gas fireplace with electric ignition controlled by a switch on the wall (no pilot light). A couple of weeks ago we tried to get it to work and it wouldn't light. My wife called a fireplace company and the guy told her to just turn the switch on and off many times to bleed the line. We did that for a couple of days and it magically started working. The remainder of that evening I would go and turn on the switch, and it would light no problem.

Well the next day I turned on the switch, and it did not work and has not worked since. Do I have an issue with the fireplace or is this a house gas issue?
Have you paid the gas bill lately? I know of an instant where an individual bought a house with a gas fireplace during the winter time and couldn't get his to light. Turned out he didn't pay the gas bill so the gas was shut off to the house without him knowing about it...
akaggie05
AG
What happens if you try to manually light it?
sts7049
AG
in a previous house i had a similar problem with the wall switch not working. i think it was a problem with the switch underneath behind the bottom panel. we never did fix it because we could just take the panel off and turn it on manually.
tgivaughn
AG
AAA Overhead Door & Fireplace
will immediately fix it @ most reasonable cost.

Guesses could include thermostat (if any) and off-on control box or its switch (ala a range can do this if dirty or old).

Rare
pipe cleaner taken to outlets, as may locally never use their fireplace = lint/crud blocks outlets down deep
blow out holes compressed air can
compressor air taken to blow out gas pipes might be best served by a pro
time for new gas logs or pipe
cablinaggie
AG
Does AAA go to Cypress?

Here's my issue:

I have a 14-year old home that we moved into the summer of 2015. Fireplace stopped working that winter, so my wife called a company out while I was at work, they fixed it, and it worked up until a couple weeks ago.

The fireplace has remote only (no wall switch), and a standing pilot. The pilot will light, but when I go to turn the knob to "ON" it goes out. The thermocouple is missing (there is a threaded hole just below the igniter), but I'm not sure if whoever came out a couple of years ago did something to eliminate the need for a thermocouple or if that is even possible.

No one in my family except for me knows how to access the valves underneath, so I don't know how a thermocouple can just disappear, especially if the fireplace was working just a few months ago.

The fireplace has a Honeywell gas control valve, and there is no "port" for a thermocouple to connect to it.

I've replaced the thermopile, in the event that this particular model of fireplace doesn't need a thermocouple, no luck. I can't find a brand of fireplace or data sheet anywhere, just that it was installed by Williams Insulation in 2003.

Any ideas?
Bonfire1996
AG
Call perfection wholesale
cablinaggie
AG
Yeah, called Perfection the first time we got it fixed two years ago. They didn't install it, so they can't fix it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.