Tankless water heater for kitchen sink

1,937 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cody 91
texagpilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have tankless Bosch unit for whole house but it takes forever to get hot water to kitchen sink. The Bosch unit is by all 3 bathrooms, so hot water there is not a problem, but kitchen is on opposite end of house. I've looked into recirculating pumps, but that seems so inefficient. Since i'm remodeling from flood, i want to install small instahot type unit under kitchen sink. Looking at EEMax unit model HA011240. Anyone have this brand or install this type of setup?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Can't help you, I can only comment on the circulating. We have two 50 gallon heaters tied together with a recirculating pump. We put the pump on a 7 day timer so that it's only running when we're home for a normal week.

My experience with tankless is that I could never have one unless there's a way to get the water to me as quickly as a tank with recirculation does. I've heard there are configurations where you can put a small tank that is used to 'seed' the system until the tankless catches up.
alabamaaggie12
AG
A friend of ours had a garage bedroom and bath at his lake house that had a 2.5 gal water heater serving it. As you can imagine, you couldn't even take one hot shower with that small capacity. He had it switched out for a 20 gallon and offered the small one to my husband. Hubs brought it home and installed it easily under my kitchen sink and I've had instant hot water ever since. It's an Ariston brand series GL model, which doesn't have great reviews on Home Depot's site, but hey, it was free. I figure we use it until it fails and replace it with a different brand at that point.
Whoop99
AG
I have the same problem - tankless water heater with long wait times for hot water in the kitchen. I haven't bought this yet, but I have been considering this point-of-use water heater by Bosch (there are multiple sizes):

Bosch Tronic 3000 T 4-Gallon Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0148O65IE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_XcE6zb43HTBCA
Gig 'Em,

Whoop99
62strat
AG
texagpilot said:

I have tankless Bosch unit for whole house but it takes forever to get hot water to kitchen sink. The Bosch unit is by all 3 bathrooms, so hot water there is not a problem, but kitchen is on opposite end of house. I've looked into recirculating pumps, but that seems so inefficient. Since i'm remodeling from flood, i want to install small instahot type unit under kitchen sink. Looking at EEMax unit model HA011240. Anyone have this brand or install this type of setup?
Why does it seem inefficient? it doesn't necessarily give you a positive ROI, but most have timers, so you set recirc pump to recirc during the hours you're typically at the kitchen sink.. what a few hours M-F evening then maybe twice a day on weekends?

It maybe cost $10 a year to run, and you save maybe that much or a bit less on cold water down the drain, but no more waiting.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I've been happy with our recirc pump. It's has a built in timer so it's only running during the morning and evenings
texagpilot
AG
Any other thoughts on this?
Cody 91
AG
I've had a Takagi since I built my house in '07, and this one unit delivers to all 3500 sq' with less than one min delay (and only if water hasn't run in a while). It's just a matter of sizing. I bought the smallest commercial model for my residential. Still runs like a charm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.