Dead outlet

1,296 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie Pharmer
Aggie Pharmer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, the outside outlet we have been running our Halloween lights on is dead. It was working perfectly fine last night. I've checked the breaker box and all breakers are on (I even flipped them all on and off again).
I've checked all of the GFCI outlets and none are tripped.
We left the lights on last night and the sprinkler came on with the electric cords laying in the grass.

What's going to be my best choice to get this outlet working again? Should I switch it out with a new one?
UnderoosAg
AG
Keep looking to make sure you haven't missed a GFCI outlet someplace. How old is the house?
Long Live Sully
AG
First get voltage meter and see if there is power to the receptacle.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
It was built in 2007.
Will see if I can borrow a multimeter from a neighbor. Thanks!
dubi
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Keep looking to make sure you haven't missed a GFCI outlet someplace. How old is the house?
Our outdoor spotlight was on our hall bath GFCI. Totally bizarre.

So press reset again on all your GFCI's and use your outlet tester as well to find any other dead outlets.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Don't need a volt meter... grab a table lamp!

My best guess is a totally bizarre gfci location.
UnderoosAg
AG
That should be new enough where you'd have a GFCI in the garage feeding the exterior outlets. If you haven't already, look in the garage for one. Could also check the directory in your panel, if it's there, and see if a circuit is labeled something like garage/outside/exterior, etc.

If there's not a GFCI hiding, then the fun begins.
dubi
AG
UnderoosAg said:

If there's not a GFCI hiding, then the fun begins.

This is why you need an outlet tester.

GFCI's can go bad overtime and you might need to replace one. We have replaced several in our houses over the years, but you should have several dead items on that circuit. Check outside outlets too.
jtp01
AG
Get yourself a meter. Honestly, your home is 10 years old. Little things like this are going to start popping up. I use a multimeter for work every day that I'm in the field, and have been using that as a primary tool for troubleshooting.

You don't need a Fluke, but buy quality that will last for years.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Yes, yes you do. If you own a home with electricity, this is a tool you should have. They are cheap too. I got one free from Harbor Freight with a coupon and it works just fine.
Long Live Sully
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

My best guess is a totally bizarre gfci location.
I should have been more clear.

Use the meter to test the wiring at the side of the receptacle for voltage. I have seen a bad receptacle before.

Wouldn't hurt to have a voltage detector and a breaker finder. You can do all that for less than $60,
Kenneth_2003
AG
I get that... But at 10pm when nothing is open, you can't (well shouldn't) wake the neighbors, and it's bugging the heck out of you...

Grab a lamp...
87IE
AG
Have you checked the outlet on your back patio to see if it has the GFCI outlet?

Like others have said a tester is a good thing to have. I have one similar to This one and you can walk around to see what other outlets are dead.

Aggie Pharmer
AG
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice!

I figured out what the problem was. For those of y'all needing closure, it was a GFCI outlet in my garage that was tripped. It's behind some racks, so that's why I didn't notice it initially. How did I track it down? I noticed the upright freezer I have in our garage wasn't running. Had an "oh ****" moment and reset the GFCI. Luckily, everything was still frozen solid inside.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.