Flood Insurance and Public Adjusters

1,422 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by shalackin
Elephant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy y'all,

My home flooded in Harvey but fortunately I have flood insurance. I opted to go through with the adjuster on my own to start with and submitted a list of contents and all of that. I just verbally received the total and am not happy with the amount. Would it behoove me at this point to hire a public adjuster? I read somewhere that at this point, if a public adjuster is able to get more, he gets 10% of the DIFFERENCE, and not the total. Is that true in Texas?

Thanks!
Cadet05
AG
Just work with the adjuster. They will gladly work with you. Public adjusters are not worth the 10%. Adjusters are swamped and doing rough initial estimates to get money out quickly. Supplements are to be expected. Do a spreadsheet with description, age, replacement cost for additional items and items you disagree with. A column with link to online pricing will expedite things.
shalackin
AG
It depends. There is no easy answer for that question. Most staff adjusters and independent adjusters are not equipped to handle the scope/cost of damage that significant. And then many others just have a deny deny deny training.

You can try working with your adjuster to bring up the claim. And if you still aren't happy, you can then hire a PA. But typically you won't get very far. You can also go get a couple estimates from local contractors and submit those in rebuttal to their claim and see what it takes. Good contractors are just as good as PA's, but TDI handcuffed them a few years back and they can't really fight for you anymore.

If you want to send me your claim doc, I can look at it and see if I think they are treating you fairly. We just had a water loss job that started at 22K and is about to end at 82K through appraisal. This couple was getting absolutely screwed by Travelers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.