Home wiring diy

4,877 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MGS
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Sasappis said:

my understanding is that a circuit in the garage has to be a gfci unless it is "inaccessible".

Used to be the case. Revised in 2008 code to include all garage receps.

I'd put them on separate circuits as well, but check the load of the appliances. If it worked on a single circuit before, might be alright on one.

The Fife said:

Assuming your GFCI in the garage is the first outlet in the circuit, you can do what you want for free by swapping that outlet for the regular one that's next in line on the circuit. It's totally free and accomplishes the same task, and all you need to do is remember to swap them back before you sell the place.

That. Trick is finding it.

YellAg2004 said:

Depending on where he's located, most cities won't let a homeowner pull an electrical permit.

There's very few places that will still let the HO pull a permit. League City requires a Master.

http://www.leaguecity.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/9335
my town allows home owners to pull any type of permit.

Why don't you just use regular receptacles, and if/when the time comes to sell house, spend 10 minutes to swap them with gfi to be to code?
MGS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'03ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

You'll need a master electrician to pull the permit.

No, a buyer's house inspector will not know if you do it yourself (assuming you do it correctly). However, on your seller's disclosure, you will be asked to list any repairs made without necessary permits.
Is this a repair?

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.