Home wiring diy

4,915 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MGS
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning to run a new circuit in the garage. We had a gfci trip and the garage fridge and deep freeze were on the circuit. Well, you know how the rest of that story goes, so I want to put them on heir own circuit to prevent a repeat. I plan on using 12 ga wires and 2-3 outlets.

My question is, do I need a licensed electrician to do this? My wife is worried about inspection when we go to sell the place. I have done some wiring at work and feel pretty comfortable doing a small thing like this myself. I am just trying to prevent an I told ya so later down the road. Thanks, also, any tips are appreciated.
Post removed:
by user
Martin Q. Blank
City limits?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
League City, Galveston county
3rd down and 12 to go, nobody will expect the draw play!
'03ag
An inspector doesn't have your home's original plans or wiring diagram. Do the job correctly and no one will know or care.

Martin Q. Blank
You'll need a master electrician to pull the permit.

No, a buyer's house inspector will not know if you do it yourself (assuming you do it correctly). However, on your seller's disclosure, you will be asked to list any repairs made without necessary permits.
Martin Q. Blank
'03ag said:

An inspector doesn't have your home's original plans or wiring diagram. Do the job correctly and no one will know or care.

His arms look really weird...like he's standing way back and is stretch armstrong. Stunt double?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

you will be asked to list any repairs made without necessary permits

Define "repair."
'03ag
Martin Q. Blank said:

You'll need a master electrician to pull the permit.

No, a buyer's house inspector will not know if you do it yourself (assuming you do it correctly). However, on your seller's disclosure, you will be asked to list any repairs made without necessary permits.
Is this a repair?

Martin Q. Blank
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Define "repair."
Are you (Seller) aware of any of the following (Mark Yes (Y) if you are aware. Mark No (N) if you are not aware)

Room additions, structural modifications, or other alterations or repairs made without necessary permits or not in compliance with building codes in effect at the time.
will.mcg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

'03ag said:

His arms look really weird...like he's standing way back and is stretch armstrong. Stunt double?
I cannot believe that he would use a stunt double to use a band saw. He owns & operates a freaking wood shop.
'03ag
Martin Q. Blank said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Define "repair."
Are you (Seller) aware of any of the following (Mark Yes (Y) if you are aware. Mark No (N) if you are not aware)

Room additions, structural modifications, or other alterations or repairs made without necessary permits or not in compliance with building codes in effect at the time.

I can google building codes and comply with that. If I never call the city and ask if permits are required, am I aware it was done without the necessary permits?
'03ag
will.mcg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

'03ag said:

I cannot believe that he would use a stunt double to use a band saw. He owns & operates a freaking wood shop.
I think that's an illusion created by the rapid zoom out.
Martin Q. Blank
'03ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Define "repair."

I can google building codes and comply with that. If I never call the city and ask if permits are required, am I aware it was done without the necessary permits?
Maybe. You could post on texags and ask.
'03ag
Martin Q. Blank said:

'03ag said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Define "repair."

Maybe. You could post on texags and ask.
This is mostly all for fun, but in all seriousness I just realized I did this. I added an outlet in the garage several houses ago. I didn't disclose it because it honestly never occurred to me that I needed a permit to add an outlet in my own damn house.
The Fife
Assuming your GFCI in the garage is the first outlet in the circuit, you can do what you want for free by swapping that outlet for the regular one that's next in line on the circuit. It's totally free and accomplishes the same task, and all you need to do is remember to swap them back before you sell the place.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
How much yall think it would run me to get an electrician out to do it? The box is outside on the garage wall, and we have open attic above the garage. And, it isn't summer anymore.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
My guess would be about $300. But that's purely a guess. If you're going to hire an electrician, give Mark Luchak a call. He has done good, reasonably-priced work for a number of folks on TexAgs.
Post removed:
by user
Gary79Ag
AG
Sasappis said:

$300 is probably the minimum. More likely $500, especially or you want a permit pulled.

It is less than $100 worth of materials even if you buy a full roll of 250' 12/2.

And just for the record kids, always buy the big roll at home depot. You pay almost the same price for the 250' roll as the 125'. The smaller rolls are even more absurd.
So true...when I did a renno job for my son and SIL I went to HD with my DIL to shop and I picked up the big roll. DIL gave me a really hard time saying I'll never use that much wire and I'd save her some bucks by getting the smaller roll so I told her I'd buy the balance from her when I'm done. Ended up using all but about 15ft.

The savings were well worth it in this case!
beachfront71
AG

Why would a master electrician have to pull the permit .. why cant the owner?

And to your other point.. Do it to code and the inspector isn't going to care..
YellAg2004
AG
Depending on where he's located, most cities won't let a homeowner pull an electrical permit.
Martin Q. Blank
beachfront71 said:

Why would a master electrician have to pull the permit .. why cant the owner?
because government likes power. maybe not, call the permitting office.
UnderoosAg
AG
Sasappis said:

my understanding is that a circuit in the garage has to be a gfci unless it is "inaccessible".

Used to be the case. Revised in 2008 code to include all garage receps.

I'd put them on separate circuits as well, but check the load of the appliances. If it worked on a single circuit before, might be alright on one.

The Fife said:

Assuming your GFCI in the garage is the first outlet in the circuit, you can do what you want for free by swapping that outlet for the regular one that's next in line on the circuit. It's totally free and accomplishes the same task, and all you need to do is remember to swap them back before you sell the place.

That. Trick is finding it.

YellAg2004 said:

Depending on where he's located, most cities won't let a homeowner pull an electrical permit.

There's very few places that will still let the HO pull a permit. League City requires a Master.

http://www.leaguecity.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/9335
helloag99
Some cities do not require a homeowner to pull a permit if they do the work themselves.
helloag99
Use a single outlet plug so that nothing else can be plugged in and install it behind the fridge/freezer so that it is not readily accessible and you are good to go.

https://www.zoro.com/hubbell-wiring-device-kellems-receptacle-single-15a-5-15r-125v-ivory-hbl5261i/i/G1698882/feature-product?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJuA7sH21gIV0BbTCh1TBQuxEAYYASABEgKgWvD_BwE
Post removed:
by user
UnderoosAg
AG
It doesn't. It's worse in commercial applications. About the same time of the garage change, there was a move to require GFCI protection in all 120V, 20A receps in commercial kitchens. Prep fridges, reefer work bases, freezers, etc were tripping left and right. Many fits were pitched. The only discussion I remember from NFPA was that newer equipment had less leakage and "shouldn't" be a problem. Uh huh. The way it gets handled is you either roll the dice on it tripping, or you ignore the requirement.

dubi
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Sasappis said:

my understanding is that a circuit in the garage has to be a gfci unless it is "inaccessible".

Used to be the case. Revised in 2008 code to include all garage receps.

I'd put them on separate circuits as well, but check the load of the appliances. If it worked on a single circuit before, might be alright on one.

This summer, I hired a reputable electrical contractor to replace the panel in my 1960's rent house in BCS. Also paid for 2 new outlets in the garage to be used for large appliances.

Neither is a GFCI; I looked at them after they were finished. Did they goof?

UnderoosAg
AG
May not be a goof per se. If you told them it was for large appliances, they probably did you a favor.
AgEngineer72
AG
If I may....

Modern GFCI receptacles are not bad about tripping with loads such as refrigerators or freezers. If it's in your garage put it on a GFCI- not much trip risk and not worth liability or safety risk not to. Code does req the circuit to be 20 amp GFCI protected. I would have to check but I don't think code requires a separate circuit for a refrigerator in the kitchen- It frequently is but the refrigerator is often on the required 'small appliance' circuit with other outlets.

There is no code requirement to run a separate circuit for each refrigerator or freezer. You can combine them on one 20 amp circuit. I ran just such a circuit in my garage 12 years ago and have a refrigerator, a freezer, and a small dorm size refrigerator on the circuit- no problems, no trips.

Install to code and you have probably met the TREAC statement ..."or not in compliance..."
dubi
AG
UnderoosAg said:

May not be a goof per se. If you told them it was for large appliances, they probably did you a favor.

I'm glad they left them off.

We signed a 3 year lease to a young family with 3 kids. They wanted to bring an extra fridge and freezer and offered to pay the cost.

So I paid $1500 for the new 200 amp panel and they paid the $300 for the 2 new outlets. Win win.
The Fife
Great, that's something I get to watch for next year when outlets for garage door openers are put in.
JP76
The Fife said:

Great, that's something I get to watch for next year when outlets for garage door openers are put in.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the garage opener be on the same gfci circuit as the exterior outlets. And then the sprinkler heads get out of whack or wind causes them to spray the exterior outlets and trips the gfci and kills the opener.
UnderoosAg
AG
JP76 said:

The Fife said:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen the garage opener be on the same gfci circuit as the exterior outlets. And then the sprinkler heads get out of whack or wind causes them to spray the exterior outlets and trips the gfci and kills the opener.

Somebody on here, I think Absolute maybe, had a great horror story about garage openers and GFCI's.
1. Buyer insisted seller replace or add back GFCI recep/breaker to the garage.
2. Seller pointed out the potential for nuisance tripping on the opener.
3. Buyer insisted, so it was replaced.
4. Buyers move in.
5. Shortly thereafter, Wife hit the opener to leave and door started to open
6. GFCI tripped halfway up.
7. Wife never noticed and backed out anyway.
8. Buyers got to buy a brand new garage door.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.