Spar varnish

924 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Copp
harleyds2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm making a outdoor patio table it of a piece of old bowling alley lane. 42" x 84". The patio is covered
I thinking of using a spar varnish and was wondering if anyone had thoughts tips or experiences
The Fife
It's good stuff IMO, it's held up ok on some garage doors we have. You may want to thin it somehow since it tends to go on thick and show brush marks. It yellows more than most, at least the way it looks to me anyway.
ReelDeal
AG
McClosky's Man-o-War has great reviews. I have just used it on exterior Knotty alder doors. So far, so good. I have also used Helmsman Spar also with good results. McClosky's just had higher reviews when I was researching Spars. Good luck.
GtownRAB
AG
ReelDeal said:

McClosky's Man-o-War has great reviews. I have just used it on exterior Knotty alder doors. So far, so good. I have also used Helmsman Spar also with good results. McClosky's just had higher reviews when I was researching Spars. Good luck.
Agreed. Minwax products can be decent, but don't perform as well as specialty products. Man-o-war is a good one, try to look for a marine/spar varnish, several good brands. If you are worried about ambering, there are some really good water-based marine varnishes that work well.

You will spend probably $30/quart or $80/gallon for those kinds of products, where minwax spar urethane will probably cost closer to half of that.
harleyds2
AG
Thanks I've been looking epithanes as well
Copp
What are some good water based marine varnishes?

I've heard epiphanes (sp) is top of the line for an oil based marine spar varnish
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.