AC Duct

1,430 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 88agswin
sims05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had an HVAC inspection performed on a home built in '89 today. One of the comments was that the insulation on the duct work for the system was missing in spots. Looking at it the outer layer looks like plastic similar to what clothes shipped by mail come in. There still appears to be all the insulation around the inner duct it's just that the plastic is gone in places. Is replacing the duct work something that should be done at this point? Is this a major issue? I get new ducts will most likely perform better.
Presley OBannons Sword
Can you post a picture? Is it hard duct or flex duct
The Fife
Old ducts and new ducts perform the same if they're of the same material, installed competently and condition. You can buy replacement insulation but pictures would really help here.
sims05
AG
Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo. The house inspector didn't include a photo and I don't have the HVAC inspection report yet.

It is flexible duct and looks similar to this

The only difference being the outside layer is missing in places. Not sure if just the outer layer needs to be replaced or if it serves a function other than keeping the insulation in tact.
sims05
AG
Actual picture of some of the flexible duct:

On another note, it was noted there is a small leak in the evaporator coil of both AC units. As far as I can tell, both units were installed in 2004 or earlier. The inspector thought putting some sealant or something like that (don't remember the exact wording) in the lines might help seal it off, but recommended replacing both evaporator coils. At that age of unit, is replacing the coils most likely a short term fix? I have my doubts the owners will replace one of both of the complete AC units and think it is unlikely they will replace either evaporative coil.
88agswin
AG
Replace it with new R8 duct. That old gray-lined (outer cover) plastic stuff is junk
sims05
AG
It's a two story home. Is it possible to replace the duct to the first floor without tearing out the ceiling?
BrazosDog02
AG
I'll be honest. Nothing about that duct bothers me. What would bother me is knowing why the outside degraded and if the INSIDE degraded too. If the INSIDE is degraded, then its leaking air and that is a problem. As it is, it's not ideal, but it's still insulating.
88agswin
AG
sims05 said:

It's a two story home. Is it possible to replace the duct to the first floor without tearing out the ceiling?
More than likely not but it is the heat up in the attic over the long haul that degraded the gray plastic liner which is why they don't even make that type of flex duct anymore. The existing duct down in between the floors is not going to subjected to those same conditions as the attic and more than likely doesn't look as bad in my opinion.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.