Help me with my neighbor's drainage problem

1,524 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Kraken
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From Real Estate Board

So I need some help or advise. My neighbors are building a pool and extending their patio right up to 1 ft. from our shared fence. We are in a new community that puts about 12 feet between foundations that is sloped into a V with a french drain down the middle.

My worry is that with the new patio being 1 ft. from the fence line and being the same height as my foundation, this will cause more water to backup onto my property. Should I be worried that this could have a major impact to my property or not? During really bad rains, it normally backs up about 1 ft on each side, but now they have built basically a dam on their property and now much less permeable soil to help absorb the rain.

My thought is they may need to add a secondary french drain on their property to help with runoff from their property since I don't think the one we have now can even handle a big rain.

[url=https://imgur.com/a/hRon1][/url]https://imgur.com/a/hRon1
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Does the new patio span the length of the back fence? Or just part of it? Where are y'all located?
DeBoss
AG
Spans half the length, in Fort Worth.
Foamcows
AG
sounds like a reason to also get a pool and put the patio within 6 inches of the fence
agnerd
AG
Pools capture more rainfall than grass, patios capture less water (none) than grass. In the half of their backyard that's draining toward your fence, is there more pool or patio area that was added?
DeBoss
AG
More patio than pool. Really worried it will pick more water into my yard and affect my foundation
BigNastyNate
AG
My patio/pool decking has a ton of drains built in that all flow to a 'master' drain pipe that is trenched through the yard and pops up near the street... solves the issue of patio run-off. I don't see any drains in the pictures you posted though. If they haven't already poured the concrete, you may mention that to your neighbor. It wouldn't be difficult to have the pipes placed prior to pouring, and then have them trench the line out to the road.

All of my downspouts etc.. are all connected down into this drainage system as well. If there is no drainage system built into the decking, he's just going to have standing water after every rainstorm?
OnlyForNow
AG
No one builds a patio for runoff water to drain into a pool.

You'll need evidence of the additional flow into your yard, but once you have that you can pretty much force them to deal with the drainage issue.
The Kraken
AG
If the yards have a decent drainage slope and you have French or area drains along the fence lines, I can't imagine there being a drainage issue no matter what is installed next door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.